will a used already programmed 2013 CX9 smart key still work?

avidien

Contributor
:
2013 CX-9 Touring
I'm thinking of getting a third spare key, I already have two working ones that came with the car. A brand new smartkey is out of my budget, so thinking of getting a used one off ebay.

Does anyone know if a used already programmed smartkey can be re-programmed using these
instructions below?

Instructions below state unprogrammed key.....

Programming with two programmed advanced keys

1. Bring the programmed advanced keys (2) and a unprogrammed advanced*key into the vehicle.
2. Close all doors.
3. Insert the supplementary*key*into the ignition*key*cylinder.

NOTE:
• Complete the procedures up to Step 7 within 30 s after the supplementary*keyis inserted.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5. Press the UNLOCK button on advancedkey*1.
6. Press the UNLOCK button on advancedkey*2.
7. From the ignition switch in the ON position, switch the ignition switch in the order indicated below.
ACC→ON→ACC→ON→ACC→ON
8. Open the driver-side front door, press the door switch twice, and then close the door.

NOTE:
• After Step 3 is completed and the advanced*key*programming mode is activated, the door lock actuator operates to lock, and then operates to unlock. If the door lock actuator does not operate, repeat the procedure from Step 2.

9. Press the UNLOCK button on the unprogrammed advanced*key*twice.

NOTE:
• After Step 8 is completed and the advanced*key*is programmed, the door lock actuator operates to lock, and then operates to unlock.

10. If programming more advanced keys, remove the supplementary*key*once, and then repeat the procedure from Step 2.

Last edited:
It should work. It worked for me on a 2014 GT with this style smart key / FOB / Remote:

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-22%20at%208.24.59%20PM.png

I bought the smart key used on eBay and it came with an aux key that had already been cut. I didn't use the aux key obviously, but the smart key programmed without any trouble.

Instructions below state unprogrammed key.....

Programming with two programmed advanced keys

1. Bring the programmed advanced keys (2) and a unprogrammed advanced*key into the vehicle.
2. Close all doors.
3. Insert the supplementary*key*into the ignition*key*cylinder.

NOTE:
• Complete the procedures up to Step 7 within 30 s after the supplementary*keyis inserted.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5. Press the UNLOCK button on advancedkey*1.
6. Press the UNLOCK button on advancedkey*2.
7. From the ignition switch in the ON position, switch the ignition switch in the order indicated below.
ACC→ON→ACC→ON→ACC→ON
8. Open the driver-side front door, press the door switch twice, and then close the door.

NOTE:
• After Step 3 is completed and the advanced*key*programming mode is activated, the door lock actuator operates to lock, and then operates to unlock. If the door lock actuator does not operate, repeat the procedure from Step 2.

9. Press the UNLOCK button on the unprogrammed advanced*key*twice.

NOTE:
• After Step 8 is completed and the advanced*key*is programmed, the door lock actuator operates to lock, and then operates to unlock.

10. If programming more advanced keys, remove the supplementary*key*once, and then repeat the procedure from Step 2.

You really have to wonder who and how they came up with all these different programming procedures... some of them are pretty crazy...

Thanks Scotch3! So you used the same exact instructions listed above and it worked? I'll go ahead and buy a used key off ebay, thanks again, much appreciated.

Last edited:
The only caveat I would say is that the FOB was listed as USED on eBay and the key was cut. There is a remote chance (pardon the pun) it was actually never programmed to a car and only the key was cut, but I think that is highly unlikely. Otherwise, it should work for you as it did for me.

Does your 2013 use the same style Smart Key?

The only other steps I could think of for the "Programming Dance" is to rub your belly and pat your head, put your left toe in, put your left toe out!

Last edited:
The only caveat I would say is that the FOB was listed as USED on eBay and the key was cut. There is a remote chance (pardon the pun) it was actually never programmed to a car and only the key was cut, but I think that is highly unlikely. Otherwise, it should work for you as it did for me.

Does your 2013 use the same style Smart Key?

The only other steps I could think of for the "Programming Dance" is to rub your belly and pat your head, put your left tow in, put your left tow out!

Hahaha. (breakn) programming dance....hilarious, good one Scotch3,
yep, it's looks exactly the same as in the picture above,
I'll give it a shot, thanks!!

Last edited:
Back