So where's the compass?

Hepcat

:
2015 Mazda CX 5
Just bought a 2015 CX5 Grand Touring. I can't find a compass. Surely it has one, but where? Thanks.
Don

You are going to have to rely on your smart phone for that.

My Infiniti has one on the mirror & nav but can't remember the last time I looked at it.

Maybe a '16 feature?

According to the Mazda website: "Auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and HomeLink" is an option, but not standard, on any trim line.

Just bought a 2015 CX5 Grand Touring. I can't find a compass. Surely it has one, but where? Thanks.
Don

I like having a compass in my vehicles but would never use that as a purchase criteria because, to me, a car is a chassis, engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, paint, seats, etc. In these major components the CX-5 satisfies like no other.

The rest is just details. I choose my vehicles based primarily on the expensive components, not cheap add-on doo-dads. I can always add a compass but it's pretty difficult to upgrade your engine, tranny or chassis. Yes, paint, shocks, seats can all be upgraded too, but that's much more difficult than adding a compass.

Well, there is a sort of compass. The navigation map, when not being used to navigate to a particular location, has an arrow in the center of the screen. This arrow points in your current direction, left = West, up = North, etc., just as on a paper map.

Last edited:
I have added an aftermarket Gentex auto dimming mirror, with compass and garage opener(3x).

Dealer installed option. I really like the one in our Camry Hybrid which is standard equipment.

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx5-commpass-homelink-mirror.html

This looks like the same one installed in my G35x except the compass is orange.

yhst-24809172479195_2269_27756435

2016 GT without the Nav package - but if you go to navigation by voice, Commander or the quick button at the Commander the compass will appear. It's not free floating and will settle to only 8 compass points.

Last edited:
2016 GT without the Nav package - but if you go to navigation by voice, Commander or the quick button at the Commander the compass will appear. It's not free floating and will settle to only 8 compass points.

I have the '16 GT and don't see the compass you speak of. Not sure exactly where you're saying it appears. I'm not able to locate anywhere on NAV screen.

Should be there. Went down to the garage and started the car. With the FM playing I pushed the NAV button at the Commander and the NAV screen changed to the compass. This time there was something like a "No Navigation package included but upgrade is available from Mazda" notice. I didn't leave the car running long enough for this message to time out and or the longitude/latitude didn't set from the garage.

IMG_1525_zpsuqq66wtv.jpg

IMG_1525.JPG

Last edited:
Should be there. Went down to the garage and started the car. With the FM playing I pushed the NAV button at the Commander and the NAV screen changed to the compass. This time there was something like a "No Navigation package included but upgrade is available from Mazda" notice. I didn't leave the car running long enough for this message to time out and or the longitude/latitude didn't set from the garage.

View attachment 210761

That's crazy. And you have a '16 GT with NAV, right? Just went out to the garage, pushed the start button twice to activate everything but the engine, and with the FM playing I pushed the NAV button at the Commander spot and the map came up - just as usual. I've never seen a compass. I've never seen the longitude/latitude set either. I've never seen that message you spoke of either.

My 2016 GT doesn't have the NAV package but does come with a compass as you can see. Never looked at a showroom GT with the NAV package because I knew we didn't want that package. Figured though if you had the map up there would be a compass heading showing somewhere on it. Guess that's not the case?

Last edited:
On my 2016 Touring AWD (without Nav) when I press the Nav button next to the dial on the center console it brings up a compass on the infotainment screen.

Latest posts

Back