Changing the tire size ?? !!

Karsten

:
Mazda CX5 GT
Hi,
I've read a lot of information about correct tire size for the CX5 and those are very useful - Thanks. But I am not a Pro and have the following question:
I am driving a Grand Touring (tire - 225/55R19 99V / wheel - 19 x 7J), means standard.
Now I want to have something more 'sportive' like 245er and I do not want to change the wheel size.
1st question: does another tire size fit on my stock wheel ?
2nd question: do I need to have any changes on the body of the car?
3rd question: the Mazda dealer said that with all changes on my wheels I will have problems with my TPMS and/or the speedometer. Is that correct?

1) Yes. Look at the tire fitments post at the top of this section.
2) No - again, follow the tire fitments section.
3) No, this is nonsense. If you change the tire overall diameter the speedo readings will be off a bit, that's all. The TPMS system can be reset to work with any size tire - read your owner's manual.

F

You better consider changing the wheel width if you are slapping on wider tires...

You better consider changing the wheel width if you are slapping on wider tires...

This also is nonsense. The tire manufacturer specifies a rim width range for each tire, and you need one that will work with a 7" rim. There are several sizes wider than the stock 225s that will work.

Again, the post on tire fitment spells this out - look for the section on +0 fitment for 19" wheels.

Flymo

@ flymo,
thanks a lot for your responses
Will go ahead and find what I think will be best option for my car and me

This also is nonsense. The tire manufacturer specifies a rim width range for each tire, and you need one that will work with a 7" rim. There are several sizes wider than the stock 225s that will work.

Again, the post on tire fitment spells this out - look for the section on +0 fitment for 19" wheels.

Flymo

"nonsense"...

Most manufacturers spec the 245/50/19's to require a bare minimum of 7.5" wheel width. Have you driven anything that have tires running on minimum wheel width? There is nothing "sportive" about tire sidewall roll. 225 on our factory width already have enough sidewall flex and tuck.

SNTP, tirerack.com shows 7 tires in the 245/50 19 size - and only the Pirelli requires a 7.5" rim. The others are OK with 7.0".

It seems your argument is with the tire manufacturers so I suggest you take it up with them, not me.

F

Back