Ball Rolling Sound? 2003 Protege5

maytonh

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Yesterday I first noticed a sound in this vehicle, like a marble or ball rolling.
it rolls one direction when i accelerate, rolls back when I decelerate or brake.
At first I thought it was inside the car but later had someone else drive the car while I stood outside.
The sound is much louder outside the car, although you don't hear the "rolling sound" so much but you hear a metal click at the end of each "roll."
It happens in both forward and reverse.
I have checked the wheels to be sure they are tight.
I have looked under the car and under the hood, I don't see anything loose that can be doing this.
This really has me stumped.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks. I thought of a wheel bearing, but couldn't figure out the mechanics of how it would make this rolling sound?
it sounds like a ball bearing in a metal tube. Rolls to one end, clunk, then rolls back, clunk.
I would expect the wheel bearing to make a continuous noise and more of a grinding sound?
I will jack it up and attempt to inspect the bearings tomorrow though.

From your description, it sounds like it might be a CV joint. When you inspect the car, check the rubber boots on the drive shafts. If any of them are torn, the CV joint inside is probably toast.

Gravel rolling around on top of the resonator heat sheild, I've had this noise before. might be on top of another sheild, but that is where mine was.

Check the dust shield on your brakes,.. it could be rubbing hitting the rust on the edge of the rotor.

That circled area gets floppy.

dustshield_zps309dfd9a.jpg

Last edited:
Just checked out the hood to be sure nothing somehow got in there.
I also jacked up the car, one side at a time (and with jackstands) I engaged the transmission to spin the drivers side front wheel, and then later the passenger side front wheel. Interesting to me is that the noise was not heard. So would this rule out CV Joints? Also, if I just allow the car to coast down a steep hill from a stop, the noise is not present. It seems to only be heard when the transmission is engaged and the weight of the car is on the tires.

Do you have a manual or automatic transmission? If you have a manual my first guess would be the synchro rings are worn out.

If you turn your steering wheel all the way to each side do you hear that clunk noise every time and on both sides? Does it only do it while the car is in motion?

Hello-
I took the car to a cul de sac today to drive it with the wheels turned all the way right, and then all the way left to see if I heard the "click" sounds everyone says bad CV joints produce. I did not hear anything. Yes it only does this when accelerating or decelerating. If I let it coast in neutral or push the car in neutral there is no "marble rolling" sound.

Okay, that's good. I read in your previous posts you mentioned some clunking noises as well. If you don't experience it during turns your steering shaft/bearing are probably fine. Everyone is right that the primary noise you are describing is commonly attributed to CV joints. Just because the vehicle didn't produce the noise while up doesn't mean it's not (which is why I asked about your steering), however, have you checked your motor mounts?

Motor Mounts- well I can see all of them except the one in back under the intake manifold (number 1 engine mount?)
I have even crawled under the car to try to see that one, but I cannot get a decent look at it.
Is there a way to tell if its OK without taking off the intake manifold to get to it?
I can say the motor does not seem to move very much, perhaps not all all when its in gear, brakes on, and RPMs increased.

The passenger and drivers side mounts look fine.
the front mount (number 2) seems suspect. I don't seem any actual tearing but the rubber looks pretty dry rotted.
And there is a damper assembly (roll damper) and that looks pretty bad.

I can. It's raining here right now, once it stops I will go out and get some sound clips.

I've lost a few marbles over the years, I just turn the stereo and ignore it,...

just wanted to let you know getting this sound clip is proving harder than i thought.
I had a digital recorder, but it does not allow me to transfer from the recorder to a format the PC will accept.
still working on figuring it out.

BTW, the noise is still there.(killit)

Back