Front Bumper

That is I think a misleading statement. All of the various bits of car insurance fall into one of two categories: what you would have to pay to others for damage you did to them, and what the insurance company will pay you for losses suffered from damages caused by "others" (in quotes because the cause of the damage may not be another driver, for instance, if a boulder hits your car.) The state minimum usually pertains to the former. (I am not aware of a state that requires the latter form of coverage, but some might.) The amount of the former type of insurance which you need to buy has a lower bound set by the state, and an upper bound set by your net worth. That is, you cannot predict what sort of awful carnage you might accidentally cause, and you are insuring your assets so that if the worst happens it does not wipe you out financially. This isn't always done solely with car insurance, it is common to have an umbrella policy on top of that, which would also cover your homeowner's insurance.

So, back to the "I drive an old car" situation. Once the car is only worth a few thousand dollars, and you have enough to repair available in your savings, and free for this task if need be, it doesn't make sense to buy the latter form of coverage. The former form of coverage is the same - that is independent of the sort of car you are driving. If you do make a claim the insurance company is likely to jack up your overall rate, including on the other parts of your coverage, so it can easily cost you more in a few years of inflated payments than they paid out in repairs. Also, as the previous poster indicated, for a few thousand dollars of repairs it is much less hassle to just write a check. You can still sue, or threaten to sue, the other driver whether or not you are insured. You will be out of luck though if they are uninsured. (Or not, since driving that way is illegal and they may be willing to pay you something rather than being reported.) Finally, for a really old car pretty much any crash is going to "total" it. That usually means a salvage title, which will make the car harder to sell. It may be that if you fix it yourself that the salvage title can be avoided. This, I think, probably depends on the laws in your state.

Some states are no-fault, California is an at-fault state though. If you cause an accident with only minimum coverage and either the property damage or personal injury amounts for the other party exceeds your policy limits you're SOL if they don't accept what your insurance offers. Again, unless you have full coverage (comprehensive and collision) you're not getting a cent if you caused an accident. No uninsured motorists on your policy and you get hit by one? Again, SOL. If you have other means of transportation or a few grand sitting around, then you can probably go without collision and comprehensive coverage on an older vehicle. I don't though because it costs me pennies a day to have full coverage. Most kids don't have that and they're usually the more reckless drivers on the road, which is unfortunate. "Umbrella insurance" isn't exactly what you think it is, and again, most kids aren't going to have that. so it's a moot point. That excess liability coverage you think of as umbrella insurance also doesn't cover everything that exceeds your policy limits and someone driving around out there with the bare minimum amount of insurance isn't going to have that either. Kids don't even have savings now, highly unlikely they could ever pay another party for damages they caused out of pocket.

It's also not just the risk of financial ruin that should encourage people to have adequate coverage above the minimum, it's the other things that could happen to you. If they sue and you fail to pay the judgement they can have your drivers license suspended for failure to pay, your wages can be garnished and they can file a writ of execution to seize and sell your property to satisfy that debt. I have responsibilities though, assets I could lose and my prefontal cortex is fully developed, so I understand and take the proper steps to ensure at the end of the day I don't lose what I have by paying a few dollars extra a month to have full coverage. For me it's a no brainer, for kid with points on their license ... well, in my professional opinion I think they should GTF-off the road.

If my P5 hadn't been worth so much I would have carried less coverage than my other vehicles, but still well above the state minimum.

Back