2014 Engine Coolant

maveryc

Hi,

My engine coolant is currently at the 'L' line, and I wasn't sure if the 2014 Mazda CX-5 requires any special coolant or if I can just buy a general purpose one.

Does anyone have any advice/pointers?

I have the 2.5L Touring model in case that makes a difference.

Thanks!

What's a FL22 type? Is this different from Prestone stuff?
Manual says replace at 120k miles or 10 years, then 60k miles or 5 years.

If using "others", first replacement at 60k miles or 4 years, then every 2 years. Maybe this is the schedule if I switch to Prestone?

-edit:
okay, it seems Ford has cheaper version of the same FL22 stuff. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned).
Still pretty pricey at $36 compared to Prestone that sells for around $10.

Last edited:
I got a gallon of FL22 at the Mazda dealer and would strongly suggest that. The type of seals in things like the water pump are matched to the chemicals in the coolant to maximize life. I would not mix coolant types as the different chemicals may interact and reduce the built in protection and have you replacing water pumps etc. before their time...

Manual says replace at 120k miles or 10 years, then 60k miles or 5 years.

Since the initial fill lasts 120,000 miles I'm curious why you are even contemplating messing with it.

Still pretty pricey at $36 compared to Prestone that sells for around $10.

Considering how seldom it needs changing, that sounds quite inexpensive to me.

Since the initial fill lasts 120,000 miles I'm curious why you are even contemplating messing with it.

Considering how seldom it needs changing, that sounds quite inexpensive to me.

Doesn't seem to be accurate since I highly doubt he is at 120k miles and already on L....

oh, I missed the level has been dropping.

It could just be the cold weather, as long as it doesn't go below the "L" line, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine's at the L line when engine is cool. Came from the factory that way. Not a problem, I don't think.

I have noticed some folks confuse the blue cold engine light for a low coolant warning.

Is there such thing as low coolant light in any other cars?
If coolant is low, you might get a hot coolant warning but otherwise, I think it's part of a routine check that you should be doing. I would just add a bit distilled water, or maybe buy a qt of pre-mixed from the dealer or Amazon and top up. Thinking about it now, I think mine was also at L when cold. My 2014 CX-5 has 9000 miles right now.

Sorry for bumping up the old thread... Yesterday I was looking around the engine bay and decided to check on fluid levels, etc. and noticed my coolant reservoir is around 1 inch below the "L" line... Usually don't check coolant since it's rated for 5 or 10 years... but my car only been about 2 1/2 years so far.

Should I fill it back up to the middle with FL-22 coolant? Or should I just add distilled water? Either way I have to go buy it as I don't have any of those laying around, only cheap $10 Prestone or Oreilly coolant in the garage.

Sorry for bumping up the old thread... Yesterday I was looking around the engine bay and decided to check on fluid levels, etc. and noticed my coolant reservoir is around 1 inch below the "L" line... Usually don't check coolant since it's rated for 5 or 10 years... but my car only been about 2 1/2 years so far.

Should I fill it back up to the middle with FL-22 coolant? Or should I just add distilled water? Either way I have to go buy it as I don't have any of those laying around, only cheap $10 Prestone or Oreilly coolant in the garage.

$36 is expensive for what amounts to a cup. I don't know the shelf-life of FL22...but potentially you'll wind up recycling it in a few years.

I'd recommend adding distilled water (I did) or go to the dealer and ask them to top it off if you're still under warranty.

$36 is expensive for what amounts to a cup. I don't know the shelf-life of FL22...but potentially you'll wind up recycling it in a few years.

I'd recommend adding distilled water (I did) or go to the dealer and ask them to top it off if you're still under warranty.

Dealers would top it off free of charge? I never took my car in for service unless it's a TSB/recall. My car should be under warranty still, since it's only 32k miles right now and I have extended warranty on the car also.

I could be wrong, but I believe Peak is compatible. I had this same problem with my previous Hyundai and it used a specific green coolant, but I wasn't going to pay an absurd amount that Hyundai charged. I found an equivalent coolant for half the cost and it happens to be a very good coolant. I can't remember the name, I will have to look when I get home.

Peak 50/50 Long Life is probably the most compatible. However I would stick with the factory coolant even if it's $25/gallon. It's handy, comes premixed, and you only change it every 60K. I have bigger worries in life than $0.00083 per mile in maintenance.

Peak 50/50 Long Life is probably the most compatible. However I would stick with the factory coolant even if it's $25/gallon. It's handy, comes premixed, and you only change it every 60K. I have bigger worries in life than $0.00083 per mile in maintenance.
Mazda recommends 120k miles or 10 years for FL22 coolant in CX-5.

Dealers would top it off free of charge? I never took my car in for service unless it's a TSB/recall. My car should be under warranty still, since it's only 32k miles right now and I have extended warranty on the car also.

Good point. They usually check for fluids like washer fluid and top that off. I think I will check our Mazdas' coolant levels this weekend. If top a slight off is required what is the difference between using OEM coolant vs distilled water?

Back