mp5 car vibration

Matrix420

:
2002 mazda protege5
Not too sure what to look for to determine why the car is vibrating. We've been told the wheel bearings need replaced, and we need a rotor turned, but the question is wether or not these things would cause the car to suddenly begin to vibrate when taken above 40 mph ? Ultimately, I suppose I'm trying to find out if perhaps we were too negelctful in our speed to get repairs done, and as a result the problems have gotten worse to cause this vibration to occur? Or should we be trying to find out other causes? Thanks.

Vibrations in low RPMs are USUALLY motor mounts, especially the rear/transmission mount. If you have a standard an easy way to tell if the rear mount needs to be replaced is if you feel the cabin vibrations and/or if your stick shifter moves slightly (up/down usually) when shifting.

As far as wheel bearings I have no experience with a protege because I haven't had to replace mine yet, but in most other cars it usually makes a sound when turning but not when going straight. I suppose if it is bad enough then it could cause vibrations.

Maybe a warped rotor could cause this too. It's strange that the vibrations pick up at 40mph, Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

it could also be you lower control arm bushing going out.

but start from the basic. tire psi checked?, balance all tires, check your alignment, check you control arm and struts. check your engine mount.

not capable? find a mechanic.

I'll go with tire balancing, check tie rod ends for play & maybe cv joints. Rotors, LCA bushings, motor mounts and wheel bearings have already been brought up. Not sure what else would do that other than maybe the steering rack bolts loose or rack bushings worn out. I guess another thing might be, where is vibration? Does the steering wheel vibrate or just the car? Motor or just the car rolling?

Last edited:
Assuming it is speed related (and not in/out of gear or turning / not turning/braking/not braking)...

Check if the tires are cupped.

Check for missing wheel weights (trade front to back and see if the problem changes)

Back