Rear brake problem - was stuck now won't adjust

belyle

:
2002 Protege5
The other day I was driving home from work, and in the last block from my house, I noticed that my car was dragging. It almost felt like a flat tire; as soon as I let off the gas I started slowing down considerably. I pulled into the driveway and looked around the car, no flat. I felt near the brakes and by golly the rear driver side was very hot! It was stuck on.

I finally got around to pulling it into the garage to work on it today. I started by checking the parking brake, and it didn't cause that brake to move at all. The pads looked stuck to the rotors.

Next, I tried backing out the caliper adjuster. After a couple of full rotations, something popped and I was able to rotate the hub again. There was still some drag, though. I rotated the caliper adjuster back in and it instantly locked the rotor again. But 1/4 turn out and it was free again. Just for the sake of experimentation, I tried screwing it all the way in (like 3 full turns), and of course the rotor locked in place. However, just 1/4 turn out and it was free again :confused:.

I left it where it sits since I have absolutely no confidence that it won't lock up on me again, even if it's free when I put it all back together. Has anyone encountered this? I'm not sure if the caliper itself is messed up, or maybe it's the bracket? I have no clue on this.

With it adjusted out - it should 'just drag'.

Press and release brake pedal. Does it lock again? Replace the caliper.

Do the parking brakes work?
Apply and test (try to turn the wheel)
Release - does it drag?

Inspect the other side and lube the pins ;)

Finally, adjust the handbrake lever if required (10mm nut under cover).

Back