Kumho tires, worth it?

look at 205/50/16 size thats what i use on my car and many more choices those kumhos are not great. (do not get the yokohama yk580s) you will slide worse than your old tires do now

these are the 205/50/16s available at discount in my area: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/se...r=TCSINT|pc|76126&ar=50&fqs=true&rd=16&cs=205

or 195/55/16 which should fit fine: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...&ar=55&rd=16&c=5&rf=true&sortBy=prca&fqs=true

or 205/55/16 http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/se...c|76126&ar=55&fqs=true&rd=16&y=13&x=52&cs=205

you might want these: Continental ExtremeContact DWS ( a little much but all season and light snow should be able to just replace yours on their for all season and a long while)

Last edited:
The Kumho 4X is a great 3-season tire (all season tires are really unfit for regular snow driving, IMO), but as my previous comment has indicated, I am not at all convinced that they are the right choice for your winter driving duties in Minnesota.

As far as 3 season driving goes, the 4X tilt more towards the sporty / performance end of the spectrum, and it has a stiffer sidewall that give rise to a more responsive turn in and steering feedback.

Please do yourself a favour and get yourself some proper winter tires.

Well, i would only be buying 2 front tires for my Protege5 right now, as im on a budget.
Lemme get this straight:

1) you are already running on bald tires
2) you live in Minnesota
3) it snows a lot during the winter in Minnesota
4) it is winter now
5) you plan on buying 2 all season tires only

(hand)

Friend, I would seriously recommend you to set your car aside until you can afford a full set of tires. When you are running on bald tires in the snow, you are not only a danger to yourself -- you are also a danger to other drivers around you.

Lemme get this straight:

1) you are already running on bald tires
2) you live in Minnesota
3) it snows a lot during the winter in Minnesota
4) it is winter now
5) you plan on buying 2 all season tires only

(hand)

Friend, I would seriously recommend you to set your car aside until you can afford a full set of tires. When you are running on bald tires in the snow, you are not only a danger to yourself -- you are also a danger to other drivers around you.

Understood.

I've been using Kuhmo tires for probably 10 years on my Protege5. Not a lot of tire manufacturers make the 195/50 16, and if they do, they cost more than Kuhmo.

I have used that particular Kuhmo tire. It is a ok tire, but I have had the same experience as another member here. They did not grip well for me rain/sleet/snow.

I ended up getting these. Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. Sidewalls are soft so avoid potholes but they have fared quite will for me. Cost only 20 bucks more or so per tire. For rain, light snow and sleet I've had better control driving with these tires. :)

Last edited:
I have used that particular Kuhmo tire. It is a ok tire, but I have had the same experience as another member here. They did not grip well for me rain/sleet/snow.

I ended up getting these. Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. Sidewalls are soft so avoid potholes but they have fared quite will for me. Cost only 20 bucks more or so per tire. For rain, light snow and sleet I've had better control driving with these tires. :)
i agree i got a different Continental they may only offer down in the south but i am very satisfied with them. i must say OP think of tires like this they have about 6 inches of contact with the road per tire so you want to get good ones. tires are the only thing that grips the road and it being up north for you you need good wet/winter traction so spend more and get better grip and performance. it may be the difference between avoiding a wreck and being in one.

Back