General AltiMAX RT43 tires

JonW

:
2014->2016->2018 CX-5 AWD Touring, various Miatas
I have over 17K miles on my 2014 and recently noticed when checking my air pressure that I'm getting pretty close to the wear bars on the Yokohamas that came on it. If it were springtime I could probably squeeze another few thousand more miles out of them but not worth taking a chance going thru a snowy winter on them. So next week I'm putting on a set of new 225/65R17 (same size as the Yokes) General AltiMAX RT43 tires.

They are reasonably priced yet highly rated on TireRack. I've been impressed with other recent General tires I've had on my Miatas so I'm going to give these a try on the CX-5.

I'll report back once their on and I have some experience driving with them.

Did you order the standard touring version or the grand touring version?

They are the same price but have considerably different user survey results.

Standard touring...

Basically the two versions differ in speed ratings, the standard touring T rated (to 118 mph) and the grand touring H rated (to 130 mph). The higher speed rating is achieved primarily by stabilizing the tread area with two layers of spirally wrapped polyamide instead of the T rated tires single layer. Other physical differences are the T rated tire has a tread width of 7.2 inches while the higher speed H rated tire is narrower at 6.7 inches. The rolling diameter is the same.

Interestingly, the slower T rated version (with one less layer of spirally wrapped polyamide) is warranted 10,000 additional miles (75,000 vs. 65,000 miles). While the weight ratings remain the same, the higher speed H version has a maximum inflation pressure of 51 psi (vs. 44 psi for the T rated).

Based on the narrower tread width, the narrower tire should have more resistance to hydroplaning (all else being equal) but the user survey results are opposite this.
Similarly, based on the fact that the H rated tire has double the amount of polyamide stabilizing the tread, one might expect it to have more direct steering response but, again, the user results are opposite this. I guess this is more likely due to variables in user perception than to actual differences in tire behavior. In other words, the user reports are not from people who professional tire testers nor are they absolutely objective.

Question to CX-5 owners:

I'll assume almost none of us plan to drive faster than 118 mph for extended periods. Even so, which 225/65/17 tire would you choose (T or H rated) and what is your reasoning? They are offered at the same price.

I noticed the same things, especially the difference in ratings. Since I'm not planning on driving anywhere near 118mph I figured the T rated Std. Touring would be fine. It is somewhat confusing, though...

I'm having them put on this morning, so I'll report back in a few days...

Initial impressions: I like the tire. About the same noise level as the Yokes, maybe a little quieter. Had an emergency stop last night when a car making a left hand turn pulled out right in front of me. The CX5 stopped quickly, which you'd expect with most new tires.

I'm a fairly relaxed driver but enjoy curves and turns, and on on/off ramps these do quite well (again you'd expect that from new tires).

In the next two months I'm taking two long distance trips into snow country, and will report back after then. So far on dry roads in the cold they are very good, and I'm pleased with them.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the owner of the tire shop I use says these are great tires and they sell a ton of them. In fact I got the last set the warehouse had in this size.

17K out of the stock tires is not very much. Unless you drive like a lunatic, your tires should probably still have quite a bit of tread.

If the tires weren't worn evenly, or even if they were, it won't hurt (just a cost some money) to get an alignment check.

17K out of the stock tires is not very much. Unless you drive like a lunatic, your tires should probably still have quite a bit of tread.

If the tires weren't worn evenly, or even if they were, it won't hurt (just a cost some money) to get an alignment check.

The tires were worn evenly almost down to the wear bars, and the car tracks straight so it doesn't need an alignment. Probably much of the wear came from a cross country trip pulling a trailer this past summer. YMMV...

low inflation, high speed, heat and sunlight is a tread killer, make sure you are inflated to speck to get the best life from the tires.

Just returned from a 600 mile trip on the new Altimax RT43s this past weekend. Trip down was on dry pavement and highways, and return trip was on freezing rain and ice, and then torrential rain and fog. Absolutely no problems, even on ice (driving rationally, of course).

I'd recommend these, especially for the price...

What was the price Jon if you don't mind sharing? BTW I'm close to you so could you tell me where you got those?

Thanks

Each tire with mounting, new valves & stems, road force balancing, and disposal was $155. For all 4 with tax ($38.75) it came out to around $660.

I always get my tires at J&K Tire in Hudson - they match Tire Racks price (incl. delivery charge) and will order me any tire I want and have it there within a day. Over the years I've been going there their service has been excellent, including patching flat tires with screw holes in them. Highly recommended.

Each tire with mounting, new valves & stems, road force balancing, and disposal was $155. For all 4 with tax ($38.75) it came out to around $660.

I always get my tires at J&K Tire in Hudson - they match Tire Racks price (incl. delivery charge) and will order me any tire I want and have it there within a day. Over the years I've been going there their service has been excellent, including patching flat tires with screw holes in them. Highly recommended.

Great and thanks. I will check them out as I think I may be needing tires soon for both my Mazdas.

We had a Nor'easter that dumped ~34 in. of snow yesterday. Out driving around on plowed and not-so plowed roads today.

The Altimaxes did fine. No getting stuck nor sliding down some big non-bare pavement hills. Not winter tires but quite acceptable in this weather.

I still have the stock Toyo's Jon with 43,000 miles on them and surprisingly they are still ok in the snow.

We had a Nor'easter that dumped ~34 in. of snow yesterday. Out driving around on plowed and not-so plowed roads today.

The Altimaxes did fine. No getting stuck nor sliding down some big non-bare pavement hills. Not winter tires but quite acceptable in this weather.

Do the tires absorb shock better than the YOKOs? Does it make a smoother ride over small ripples & large imperfections?

Do the tires absorb shock better than the YOKOs? Does it make a smoother ride over small ripples & large imperfections?

I can't really say as they've been on a while now and I can't remember the Yokes being especially hard or not. Also the roads are all covered with snow and ice now. FWIW I'm still happy with them...

Back