@ 90K miles on my 2013 CX-5 and need to replace the brakes/rotors

kendotone

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hi, first time @ this forum.

I have a 2013 CX-5 Touring, AWD. I just hit 90K miles on it and haven't done a brake change yet. When i brake sometimes the steering wheel stutters a little bit and I've noticed that I have to put the brake pedal down more. So I guess it's about time to change the brakes.

What are the OEM brakes and Rotors that are used in the CX-5? I have a friend who will do the change for me if I provide him the brake pads and rotors.

Also what is a good website to order them from.

I would need to order the brakes and rotors and anything else that is needed. I am very unaware of what I need as I am not a car enthusiast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kendotone

Off topic a little... but I think you might have the highest mileage CX-5 on the board. Any issues so far? IMO that is a good run for brake life.

Off topic a little... but I think you might have the highest mileage CX-5 on the board. Any issues so far? IMO that is a good run for brake life.

I'm actually at 92,363 right now. I have not had any issues with my CX-5 as of yet. I drive a lot as you can see, through country and city roads. I have swapped my tires out once so far. No accidents with the car besides someone hitting my driver side door. The only issue I have is that sometimes with the BOSE upgraded Bluetooth radio that I bought from the Manufacturer on rainy days my bluetooth does not connect to it. It usually takes me driving around for a little while, turning the car off, then back on, and then it starts working. It's a great car!

So, thanks for the replies everyone, but my original question still hasn't been answered...

any advice?

"I am very unaware of what I need as I am not a car enthusiast."
What is it about that sentence that you don't understand?
Actually, I didn't notice that part. But I appreciate the unneeded (but not entirely unexpected) douchebag remark, that still didn't address the op's question.

1. Have the front and rear brakes inspected by someone familiar with rebuilding brakes.
2. Identify whether rotors need to be replaced or just resurfaced.
3. Establish what parts you need based on item 1&2 above.
4. Order pads and new rotors if needed from your Mazda dealer or Auto parts store. Suggest the fella doing your brakes to make his recommendation.
5. Include in the parts list, grease for caliper pins and slides and anti squeal stuff if needed.
That is the best I can do for you kendotone. Ed

At the top of this page is a banner ad for Med Center Mazda. I've ordered from them several times and have been happy. Or use Google to find online parts sellers. Or go to your local dealer.

I have a friend who will do the change for me if I provide him the brake pads and rotors.

Also what is a good website to order them from.

I would need to order the brakes and rotors and anything else that is needed. I am very unaware of what I need as I am not a car enthusiast.

Brakes and rotor replacement is not rocket science but there are a number of ways a "friend" could do a less than optimum job. Because you are not a car guy it might be difficult to tell if your friend is qualified or not. Brakes are essential equipment and it doesn't cost much to have an experienced shop do the work.

Good to hear you have 90+K on brakes, I have 45,000 on mine with no issues. OEM brake rotors are all made from cast iron and it is my belief that only a couple of assembly lines make the rotors that are marketed through many different brands and prices. The net is I have always gone with the lowest price rotors and never had a problem. I like to use organic pads that are also the lowest cost but they are softer and usually wear faster but are quitter than simi-metallic or crematic pads each of which are harder and usually make more noise but last longer. The softer the pad the more wear on the pad and the less on the rotor so I can usually replace the pads a couple of times without even turning the rotors. Since you have had such good luck with Mazda pads you may want to get them from Med Center but I would not be afraid to buy rotors from NAPA, or Autozone. Instead of turning rotors I usually just replace them as turning reduces the thickness of the rotor and they will heat up faster and be more prone to crack. I can easily switch rotors and I have to get someone like NAPA to turn them and it takes more time and does not save a lot. I used organic pads from Autozone on a G35 that is famous for using pads fast but had good luck with them

Last edited:
I replaced my rear brake pads with OEM from the dealer. Cost was reasonable, it's an easy job to do and I'd go that direction again. I'd be interested to hear how the wear is front and back. I wore out the rear pads much sooner than the front. I'm guessing it's due to the fact I carry a bunch of gear/work samples in the cargo area which activates the electronic brake distribution sooner. Pads were replaced this past spring (I'm guessing 45ish k miles). I currently have 63,xxx miles.

I read that Mazda, under normal braking favors the rear brakes to aid directional stability. Under heavy braking the front is favored due to the weight shift. During panic stop the antilock gets all the traction available from each wheel but the rear does very little due to the maximum weight shift.

I'm at about 91,000 kms now on my 2013 CX-5 GS, and I'm at the same point with my brakes.

I did have the rear pads replaced about 30,000 km ago, I had a seized caliper and I ended up scoring the right rear rotor pretty good. Didn't end up replacing the rotor at the time as I was lazy/broke, and figured I would have to do the whole set soon anyways.

Last week I had some screeching/squealing from the right rear on turns and lane changes, I'm thinking the caliper has seized up again. Time for an oil change this week anyways, so when I take it into the stealership I'll have them take a look and tell me how many organs I'm going to have to sell to get my brakes done. I started getting a few quotes around town and looks like anywhere from $750-1,100 (CAD).

Careful what you put on, I got too aggressive and put English Racing EBC Reds on my CX-7, it stopped faster but I cooked a front caliper, a hub and both rotors in short order :( I went back to OEM

Although the brakes felt stronger on the CX-7 it's stopping distance is about the same as the CX-5

My CX-5 now has 51k on it, the pads are about 50% so it's time for me to start thinking about what I'm going to put on too. I know I'm going with slotted rotors but haven't settled on the brand of pads yet.

1. Have the front and rear brakes inspected by someone familiar with rebuilding brakes.
2. Identify whether rotors need to be replaced or just resurfaced.
3. Establish what parts you need based on item 1&2 above.
4. Order pads and new rotors if needed from your Mazda dealer or Auto parts store. Suggest the fella doing your brakes to make his recommendation.
5. Include in the parts list, grease for caliper pins and slides and anti squeal stuff if needed.
That is the best I can do for you kendotone. Ed

Great pointers, but in regards to # 2, I'd not even bother checking. I'd get new rotors at 90K Miles. Nothing really to gain, but too much to lose.

Latest posts

Back