Exhaust leak?

jarmal22

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
I have a 2003 p5 with about 123,xxx miles on it and just the other day after driving over a small bump on the road something sounding like an exhaust leak was heard from the front of my car. It was strange as I always drive over these kinds of bumps/roads in the northeast, and it has never happened. The only thing that makes me suspect it to be something else is that the sound is only made when in drive! All other gears (reverse, park, neutral) the sound doesn't occur. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be. I was going to inspect and potentially change the gaskets on my exhaust manifold (where it attaches to the block, and where it goes to the downpipe). I just don't want to mess with it and take it apart if its not actually the problem. Any suggestions and help is much appreciated

If it's an exhaust leak it should be there any time the engine is on. My sister's 96 Protege had an exhaust leak and it was apparent as soon as you turned the car on

Check the motor mounts maybe?

I considered the mounts to be a potential problem, but I'm almost positive that the noise is coming from the exhaust manifold. It's just the part about being in gear affecting whether or not the noise happens that makes me think otherwise. Also i havent noticed the jump/jolt you feel when changing gears or vibration under load etc. that are a sign of bad mounts, it still could be the problem just isnt likely from what i know so far. Thanks for the help though

Back