What to buy next? -Life after the P5

Read up and you'll find the post in which you said my statement was BS without ever disproving it.

Competitively withstand corrosion environments? All manufacturers need to do is pass the tests. They don't need to exceed any other manufacturer's quality. You said earlier that the products you guys produce are spray tested with 5% salt water, yet in your daily commute sometimes you're getting closer to 20-30% salt water. Still think the vehicle didn't pass standards?

Let's just agree that you hate Mazda due to your s*** experience with one of their products and that not everyone agrees with you; the stupidity of this is hurting my brain already.

Debate closed due to lack of damns given.

Last edited:
Lol at this conversation.

In any case, to be fair, newer cars have had less issues coping with the weather than older cars, especially the ones from japan. But I have to frown at you saying that the proteges were poorly designed. Have you not seen how badly other Japanese cars of that age have also taken a beating? Nissan, Subaru, Honda and Toyota can all have rust problems that are as major as the protege. Even my mom's Caravan has holes all along the rocker panels.

I have seen so many American pick up trucks drive without quarter panels due to rust too.

The best way to protect your car is wash it regularly, and more frequently in the winter, people don't understand this sometimes.

Living somewhere that snows during the winter and living over on Pleasure Point in SC are two different things. Unless you're parking your car on the beach daily, it's not going to show much, if any rust. I barely, if ever, wax my cars, except for when the moths are really bad or it's windy and the redwood tree droppings are getting on my cars. Even without the water restrictions in this area the cars exterior take less of a beating and don't require as much upkeep (detailing). Heck, unless you have a brand new Tesla or messy kids, there's no real reason to even have a vehicle detailed unless you're selling it.

I realize it's not the same, but cars definitely rust around here. Literally 1 block from the pounding surf. There's not too much beach around here when the winter comes and the waves get big. It's surf bashing against cliffs. I'll keep detailing my cars regularly.

Here's an aerial shot of my neighbor hood. I live up near the top of the point.
Pleasure-Point-California-USA-surf-1.jpg

Yep, definitely not going to take rust advice from someone from the south. You don't know what you're talking about.

And again, I wax my car regularly. My paint is in good shape.

Yep, I'm gonna quit trying to talk sense into a brick wall. You know the answer, but you seem to block headed to take any advice. Again, I detailed cars professionally for YEARS and know what I'm talking about. If you think that there's no salt in the air near the beach, take a trip to Hawaii and check out some of the 3 year old cars there.

Now take a step back and ask yourself, who is to blame for rust problems when I bought a car that's 7 years old? In an area where they salt the roads?
Now get off the internet, you're embarrassing yourself, fishing for arguments.

Last edited:
... so... what do you guys think of the Mazda 3 wagons?

This is actually surprisingly cheap - I didn't realize that used Mazda3s were that cheap. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten a P5 after all :p

The 3rd gen Mazda 3's are just plain sexy. The only 3 I'd trade my Protg5 for, but I'm not a fan of the first and second generations. A buddy of mine has a second gen Speed 3, fully loaded, that I'm sure he'd sell if you're looking for one.

I realize it's not the same, but cars definitely rust around here. Literally 1 block from the pounding surf. There's not too much beach around here when the winter comes and the waves get big. It's surf bashing against cliffs. I'll keep detailing my cars regularly.

The surf is bashing against the cliffs, not your car. Rust is not common here, neither is snow or hail, that's why people come from all over to buy the large amount of VW buses still driving around here. Maybe if we have another winter like 1982 a few cars parked in the lower neighborhoods will start rusting, but that's not likely. I really don't care how many times a month you think you need to wash/wax you car. This isn't back east though or wherever you moved from, so if you have that much free time, have fun! Just stay within your water allotment.

2012-Mazda-Mazda6-4D%20WAGON-TOURING-20120920100800433.jpg

Mazda6 Wagon!

I've generally been impressed with the Mazda6. I test drove the 2014 a few months ago before buying the P5 and considered buying it because it was that nice. I had walked over from the Mitsubishi dealer after looking at what Lancers they had (both new and used), not as impressed unfortunately.

Oh, the 2014 Mazda 6.. I'd trade my house for that car xD

That would probably be a financially unsound idea considering the median home prices here. Now, if you could trade a pre-built Home Depot shed "house", that would be a good trade.

2014-mazda-6-wagon-and-sedan-photo-478656-s-1280x782.jpg

New-2014-Mazda-6-wagon-side-view.jpg

dlouhodoby-test-mazda-6-wagon-2-0i-2014-z-nuly-na-sto-630x300c.jpg

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the OP should buy another Mazda as long as it's fast and sexy.

Oh, the 2014 Mazda 6.. I'd trade my house for that car xD

Only problem is no hatch in the US!

The 3rd gen Mazda 3's are just plain sexy. The only 3 I'd trade my Protg5 for, but I'm not a fan of the first and second generations. A buddy of mine has a second gen Speed 3, fully loaded, that I'm sure he'd sell if you're looking for one.

Somewhere in TX? I don't think I'm ready just yet ... Gotta figure out what I'm going to do with my current P5. It's just.. ugh.. something clunks in the transmission and everything creaks. If I could fix it then I wouldn't mind driving it into the ground.

The more I lookat the Is300 Sportcross the more I like it. Seems to have a melting dash issue but other than that a pretty solid vehicle. I dont need fast, my MP5 is plenty quick enough for commuting. Just want a little better ride without sacrificing handling too much and a little more luxury. I would consider a Civic but I hate that wierd dash shifer. My brother had a Civic Si and autocrossed it and it was a fun car but seems to be hard to find them around where I live that are not overpriced or ragged out. Several cars mentioned are jsut more than I want to spend. I think I will be looking for the IS300 Sportcross...unless I happen to run across a V70R in awesome condition :)

Keep a sun deflector in the dash and yours will be fine. Probly same thing as the 2nd gen mazda 3. The material the use doesn't hold up to the heat

The more I lookat the Is300 Sportcross the more I like it. Seems to have a melting dash issue but other than that a pretty solid vehicle. I dont need fast, my MP5 is plenty quick enough for commuting. Just want a little better ride without sacrificing handling too much and a little more luxury. I would consider a Civic but I hate that wierd dash shifer. My brother had a Civic Si and autocrossed it and it was a fun car but seems to be hard to find them around where I live that are not overpriced or ragged out. Several cars mentioned are jsut more than I want to spend. I think I will be looking for the IS300 Sportcross...unless I happen to run across a V70R in awesome condition :)

I can't decide if those IS300 are ugly as sin or look ok.. Which years are you looking at?

Back