MP3 Engine Swap

NightSwets

:
2001 Mazda MP3
I'm looking for advice on an engine swap on my '01 MP3. I spun a rod on Thanksgiving (of all days!) and am not ready to give up on her even though I'm at 211k miles. I've swapped motors in plenty of pre-80's American vehicles but nothing like this. Any help will be appreciated!

Keep your stick on the ice!

Another 2.0 in. Was there any difference between the MP3 and other models with the 2.0? Anything to watch out for when looking for a motor? I've had the car for 2 years but never looked into much about it.

Nope, its the same motor as all the other Protege 2.0's. All the littler perks that gave the MP3 a little higher HP arent engine specific, but was things like exhaust, and ecu tuning. So you will be fine. Even the turbo'd MazdaSpeed's still had the same internals and you can swap any 2.0 over to.

I really appreciate the info. Any idea where I can also find a left front shock? I've found the other three just can't find that one for a reasonable price. Also, noticed you're from Rockford. Did you have an MP3? I saw one at a golf course once while I lived in Rockford. It was the only other MP3 I have ever seen.

Nope. I Have a blue Mazda6, a gray CX9, a green 626 currently. But there are quite a few MP3's, and even modded MSP's here also. Hell we have two re-badged MP5's even with custom stickers.

I used an engine from a 626 with auto trans. Change the bell housing, air intake manifold, and cam pulleys. The cam pulleys are important to swap if using the head from the 626. The engine will not idle without this swap. If using a 626 engine make sure you find one without the distributor hole.

Hey there,

I actually had an MP3 with all OEM parts.

Recently got into an accident ( day after black friday, ugh ) and I still have the engine which is in good condition ( not the body of the car :[ ) and if you're interested in the engine, let me know.

Back