New P5 owner here.

wadesun

:
2002 protege5
I thought I'd introduce myself here. Bought a '02 Protege5 a few weeks back, from a used car dealer. It has been great, has 67,000 miles on it. Not sure what to check for on this car, any suggestions appreciated, I have heard these have a rust problem? We will get snow soon here in VA.

Rust problem is usually due to salt. And these cars tend to rust more than other cars would.

If you wash your car regularly, you should be safe.

Some pics

Here are the pics of my Metallic black P5. Earlier this week, I drove it to work with a layer of ice because it's parked outside (garage houses wife's Flex, and my yellow Elise, which I don't drive much during winter). Pics taken from the parking garage at my workplace, we have some pretty nice cars. Yes, we have a Tesla owner.

Attachments

• IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 705
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 749
  • IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 743
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 752
Good looking car. I wish I had the OEM roof rack on my car. I ended up getting a Thule rack. My car probably 229K miles on it by now and its running strong. I've only had minor problems like my power locks going out and headlight bulbs burning out which is an inconvenience more than a problem. I've just done regular oil changes and maintenance. I dont know if i got lucky with my car or if they just last. IM pretty new also Wadeson. I think i've been on here for a week or two.

Here are the pics of my Metallic black P5. Earlier this week, I drove it to work with a layer of ice because it's parked outside (garage houses wife's Flex, and my yellow Elise, which I don't drive much during winter). Pics taken from the parking garage at my workplace, we have some pretty nice cars. Yes, we have a Tesla owner.

Pretty awesome, you have 3.4 times my mileage! I used to live in California, drove a Maxima, and then a Camry, around 180K miles when I got rid of them. Cars last pretty long there ;) Thanks for all the replies, this is a neat forum! I haven't used my roof-rack yet, but am open to suggestions. Maybe haul a Christmas tree?

That's one of the best paint-jobs and color on a Mazda I've seen. Wheels match the car nicely:)

JJ

Hey! A fellow VA P5 owner! I've got the same color but your car is in much better shape than mine. The last person who had my car let it sit under an acorn tree for a year and the body has 145XXX miles hahaha. But yeah, welcome! Edit: grammar

A 2002 with only 67k miles? That's crazy. Looks like Nestor and Hotcracker are neck-and-neck on their mileage. :)

Nestor, make sure you use dielectric grease on your bulbs if you don't already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should undercoat to protect from rust. There are enough pictures and threads on the subject to see where the critical areas are. Should be a pretty easy task since you probably don't have rust yet. When you do wash in the winter, spend more time spraying underneath and in the wheel wells than spraying the body.

Pretty awesome, you have 3.4 times my mileage! I used to live in California, drove a Maxima, and then a Camry, around 180K miles when I got rid of them. Cars last pretty long there ;) Thanks for all the replies, this is a neat forum! I haven't used my roof-rack yet, but am open to suggestions. Maybe haul a Christmas tree?

strap down a monster sized domo =)

You should undercoat to protect from rust. There are enough pictures and threads on the subject to see where the critical areas are. Should be a pretty easy task since you probably don't have rust yet. When you do wash in the winter, spend more time spraying underneath and in the wheel wells than spraying the body.

Rust problem is usually due to salt. And these cars tend to rust more than other cars would.

If you wash your car regularly, you should be safe.

This is a picture of a car I saw last week,... 95% of all P5's I see look like this.

GET YOUR CAR SPRAYED,... At least once,...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123828752-I-Bought-A-Gallon-Of-Rust-Proofing

IMG_20141130_075352_zpsohrmg0wt.jpg

What, is everyone in Virginia buying used P5s now? haha I Just bought mine on Monday, 98k miles, VERY good condition except some rust in the engine bay. It's been too cold for me to get a good look at it but any suggestions on how to keep it from spreading and ruining an otherwise wonderful car, I'd appreciate it. I already like this car more than the NB Miata it replaced, and strangely it feels FASTER. Go figure!

Heres a picture of me hauling my sisters Christmas tree this year.

Back