Intake for better Gasmilage

:
03 Protege 5
Hey,

Im looking to get a new intake to improve my mileage. I've seen a few and was looking for some input on them. I've read that Short Ram would improve my gas mileage by a few miles per gallon but there's not much info on Cold Air Intakes. I was also reading a thread last night where someone was asking this questions years ago (which I can't find now for the life of me) and someone went with just an ebay short ram. I had an ebay short ram years ago but i took it off because it kept hitting my master brake cylinder and actually filed it down a bit. Also as a result my cheap ebay intake has a hole in it due to the constant contact. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Im currently looking at the following since these are the ones I found. Also if you have any other brands or thoughts please feel free to share them.

K&N Cold Air

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-6020TR

Injen Cold Air

http://www.andysautosport.com/products/injen__RD6060P.html

AEM Short Ram (Automatic Transmission)

http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=22-480R

AEM also has one for a manual transmission that sits lower in the engine bay but im assuming it can be installed because the automatic transmission would be in the way. Let me know if there are any other ones im missing. Like I mentioned im looking for better MPG so I dont know if the cold air or short ram would be better.

After writing this I decided to search one more time and I found the thread I was referring to earlier.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123800884-Cold-air-intake-or-a-short-ram

Last edited:
Does anyone have any actual data showing that modified intakes increase power and mileage on this car? If you managed to get 2 mpg out of it, it'd take over 35,000 miles to break even in cost at a price of $275.

Honestly, there's better things to spend $275 on than a tube with a filter on the end. Take the filter box off and shove a cone filter in the existing intake tube. You've pretty much made your own short ram intake. Try it for a week and see if the results are worth it.

Last edited:
An exhaust will gain you more in the MPG department than a cold air intake. In fact, a CAI is the opposite of what you want if you're after better fuel economy. In short, hot air = less fuel and cold air = more fuel. The best I could ever manage on the highway was around 32mpg in my old P5 with a CAI, header, and cat-back. No CAI would have probably been slightly better, and for the meager "gains" in power that you get (they're really just for noise, let's be honest), they're too damn expensive.

Last edited:
you can get the same results as k&n, injen, etc using ebay an piping kit and a cone filter for A LOT cheaper, just a recommendation. it's also in the thread that you linked

I don't think there will be a major difference in gas mileage if the only mod youve done is an intake, whether it be short ram or cai.

An exhaust will gain you more in the MPG department than a cold air intake. In fact, a CAI is the opposite of what you want if you're after better fuel economy. In short, hot air = less fuel and cold air = more fuel. The best I could ever manage on the highway was around 32mpg in my old P5 with a CAI, header, and cat-back. No CAI would have probably been slightly better, and for the meager "gains" in power that you get (they're really just for noise, let's be honest), they're too damn expensive.

I see your point. What would an aftermarket exhaust do to my engine anyways? What would the Preformance gain be? Less damage? Exct...

I see your point. What would an aftermarket exhaust do to my engine anyways? What would the Preformance gain be? Less damage? Exct...

Why would an aftermarket exhaust cause damage?

It allows the engine to breathe better, resulting in a bit more power and better fuel economy when cruising, due to less restriction.

Thats why I'm asking. Im pretty new to all this and I had an ebay intake but it was rubbing my master brake cylinder. I wonder if there are any threads on how to appropriate secure it so its not in contact with the brake cylinder. What other Mods would there be to help improve MPG. My car has 228K miles on it so I'm not looking to add power at the moment since i don't know if the engine could handle it. Im only starting to learn about cars so i would assume a car with as many miles as mine would be more delicate than a new engine.

you can get the same results as k&n, injen, etc using ebay an piping kit and a cone filter for A LOT cheaper, just a recommendation. it's also in the thread that you linked

I don't think there will be a major difference in gas mileage if the only mod youve done is an intake, whether it be short ram or cai.

I'm glad you asked this Targaryen. Would i get a whole cat back exhaust or only the muffler? Does the muffler add power or is that just for sound? If you have any links of me to look at it would be appreciated. Also what kind of MPG increase would i be looking at? are there any websites that a new guy like me can read to get the nuts and bolts of car modification like mods for dummies lol

Last edited:
If you want more power and better gas milage go with the MP3 ecu

You have to run 93 but I averaged 28-30 with semi aggressive driving and could get32-34 if I tried

i had a full header and exhaust along with an injen intake on my old protege, and i gained MAYBE 2-3 mpg. intake-header-exhaust gained more in the "fun to drive" category than it did in the efficiency category. the sound was awesome, however...

I threw it out and put the stock one back on. I did notice a decrease in mpg (in my mind) once I put the stock one back on so does anyone have recommendations on exhaust? I pmd the guy that does the MP3 ecu. Do you think it would be worth doing anything to my car since it has so many miles?

Op, if you've still got that hole in your intake, patch that asap. Vac leaks are bad news.

i'd go with either a racingbeat or corksport. I've seen the magnaflow one and I didnt think the quality was that great for the price. As tweety said, the MP3 ecu reflash is the easiest/best bang for your buck mod you can do to a 2.0L NA protege

i'd go with either a racingbeat or corksport. I've seen the magnaflow one and I didnt think the quality was that great for the price. As tweety said, the MP3 ecu reflash is the easiest/best bang for your buck mod you can do to a 2.0L NA protege

I have a custom cat back piping with no resonator into a magnaflow muffler on my prelude and it simply sounds amazing. I simply won't pay $500 for some bent metal tubes. I have $150 in mine all mandrel bent.

i loved my magnaflow exhaust. it was the off-the-shelf version, not a custom set-up.

Piping is all the same, only difference is resonator and muffler. And I personally hate a fart can.

I do love the crackle from no resonator, and with stock cat it's still not unbearably loud, until vtec crosses over then it's pretty loud

The MP3 ECU wont work with an automatic will it? I've been reading into it. Can someone please confirm this? I think im going to change my Oxygen sensor since i've never done that. It hasnt given me any problems but im ready that even if it doesnt give an error message it can still lose efficiency.

Nope can't use it with auto unless you want to shift it manually every time. And totally sol with sport shift. Or it won't work at all, I can't remember

Back