Stock Protege5

P5freek

:
2002 Protege5
I love my mazda but I just cant justify doing huge mods to it. I think stock its close to perfect. I do plan to do a cold air intake, mazda 6 brakes and a short shifter and leave it at that. Anyone else feel out of the box these are great cars?

the ONLY advantage to the mazda6 brakes is the revised parking brake mechanism for the rear. stock brakes are MORE than adequate for the car.

Yes they are Adequate but I feel where I live and how I drive I want to go with a bigger braking surface.

you won't gain anything over just changing to a better pad. that being said, the OEM mazda pads are actually pretty good for daily driver use, too. these comments go especially well since you are staying with stock suspension. save your money on the brakes, and put it towards engine maintenance, since that's the protege's actual weakest link.

I bought my P5 already modded.
Lowered, 18" wheels, short shifter, mazda speed muffler, K&N ect. Hate the mods. I wish it was stock.

I really wish the PO had kept it stock and spent the money on maintenance instead of parts that do nothing for the car.
The ride is not comfortable for commuting, and it burns lots of oil. If they had spent that money on oil changes instead of parts for look, I wouldn't have to rebuild the motor at 173k.

I agree with njaremka, the stock brakes are fine. The cars just need regular maintenance and they will be fine, if they don't get it, they end up like mine!

you won't gain anything over just changing to a better pad. that being said, the OEM mazda pads are actually pretty good for daily driver use, too. these comments go especially well since you are staying with stock suspension. save your money on the brakes, and put it towards engine maintenance, since that's the protege's actual weakest link.

I run EBC green pads and I kill them.

Stock brakes will lock up sticky 215-45-17 tires with ease.

The only thing the protege lacks is power

the EBC GreenStuff pads are a soft compound, designed to stop well and be easy on rotors:
http://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/

going to mazda6 brakes will not change your pad wear rate if you still run the greenstuff pads. i would try some Hawk HPS pads if you think you NEED a better street pad, or go to OEM if you want a good low-dust and long lasting pad.

better braking distance can be achieved with better tires and suspension.

remember what is stopping the vehicle is the contact of the tire with the road. the better the contact, the better the stopping.

so if you got cheap tires, get better tires. your wheel weight will affect your stopping distance. the lighter the wheel the better.

making these changes will get you more performance as whole then just mazda6 rotors.

another thing: learn to downshift. this also helps a lot- and is free!!!!

proper lowering springs/sport dampers and better tires for sure make a huge difference.
you can upgrade brakes, but doing a larger rotor only makes sense if your trying stop a larger wheel and tire. you cant really go bigger than 17x7 and 215/45/17 without running into problems with the speedo and abs, so might as well stick to factory size and just get better rotors and pads.
i have stoptech rotors and hawk pads on my msp and that thing will lock no problem at any speed with my summer tires.. or winter tires in summer lol.. NO problem.

msp brakes are a tiny bit bigger obviously, but the parallal is there. compound make a big difference.

cai is a pretty big waste of money if not used as part of a system. ie, a full exhaust, header ect ect. if i had to buy anything to give a little more power, it would probably be a jpipe back exhaust. this car 2 or 3 cats and you could easily delete the midpipe cats for a nice performance boost without being really dirty. alternately, a ebay header would free up some power without changing the exhaust. factory exhaust is pretty good overall just lots of cats lol.
another thing to consider is the mp3 ecu flash. that is realatively cheap and smoothes the car out quite a lot.

if i had never owned an msp, id probably love my p5 just fine. its so much more plush than the msp and comfortable. i want a little more out of it, but still civil heh.

I'm
proper lowering springs/sport dampers and better tires for sure make a huge difference.
you can upgrade brakes, but doing a larger rotor only makes sense if your trying stop a larger wheel and tire. you cant really go bigger than 17x7 and 215/45/17 without running into problems with the speedo and abs, so might as well stick to factory size and just get better rotors and pads.
i have stoptech rotors and hawk pads on my msp and that thing will lock no problem at any speed with my summer tires.. or winter tires in summer lol.. NO problem.

msp brakes are a tiny bit bigger obviously, but the parallal is there. compound make a big difference.

cai is a pretty big waste of money if not used as part of a system. ie, a full exhaust, header ect ect. if i had to buy anything to give a little more power, it would probably be a jpipe back exhaust. this car 2 or 3 cats and you could easily delete the midpipe cats for a nice performance boost without being really dirty. alternately, a ebay header would free up some power without changing the exhaust. factory exhaust is pretty good overall just lots of cats lol.
another thing to consider is the mp3 ecu flash. that is realatively cheap and smoothes the car out quite a lot.

if i had never owned an msp, id probably love my p5 just fine. its so much more plush than the msp and comfortable. i want a little more out of it, but still civil heh.

There are 2 cats just like every other modern day car. Deleting the precat will allow better top end performance. Deleting both of them will make it sound like s*** and lose low end power and torque across the board. You need back preassure for a na setup. Not to mention you will get a cel

MP3 flash is easily the best mod for an na setup. 5-10 whp gain depending on other mods. Better fuel and timing maps and better gas milage

The stock motor sucks for performance. If anyone wants a straight line or dyno queen car they should run away from the protege

MP3 flash is easily the best mod for an na setup. 5-10 whp gain depending on other mods. Better fuel and timing maps and better gas milage

The stock motor sucks for performance. If anyone wants a straight line or dyno queen car they should run away from the protege

Tell me more about this flash that gives better fuel mileage. What type of scanner tool is needed and where does the data come from?

I'm

There are 2 cats just like every other modern day car. Deleting the precat will allow better top end performance. Deleting both of them will make it sound like s*** and lose low end power and torque across the board. You need back preassure for a na setup. Not to mention you will get a cel

Thats not what im looking for, I have a 62 Buick with 500 ftlbs of torque for having fun on the Dyno. I just want to have a good little car.

Tell me more about this flash that gives better fuel mileage. What type of scanner tool is needed and where does the data come from?

You send you ecu to a member and he does the flashing and sends it back to you. Or you can pay mazda to do it. But he charges $150 I think and mazda charges around $900

Thats not what im looking for, I have a 62 Buick with 500 ftlbs of torque for having fun on the Dyno. I just want to have a good little car.

Then leave it stock. My mazda 3 is staying bone stock as I have a play car. I've got an intake and exhaust on my prelude and that's it, and that's because it had them when I bought it

Back