Lighting question..

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Recently I've been looking to do some interior mods, and just bought a set of 505's gauge rings (still being shipped). This got me thinking about doing something to the look of the gauges. I've seen overlays, gauge face replacements, diy projects, and even found a company that does custom faces. What I was wondering, is about the lighting. Is the orange lighting a colored bulb or are the faces tinted that color? And does this apply to the center console as well? Help me out if you know anything..

Also thinking to do a LED conversion for the reverse, brake, and turn signals, as well as the hi-beams (is this possible?). Any thoughts on this? Has it been done before?

The cluster bulbs i believe are the orange light bulb + having the back of the cluster tinted. And as far as center console lighting goes those are all plug n play LED's, just swap em out with the color you want and boom.

This thread will be your bestfriend for this conversion: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123828919-How-to-LED-interior-lighting

And I just did LED conversions to my tail light, brake, and reverse lights. Use www.superbrightleds.com to find the stock bulb sizes for your P5 and then either buy from their conversions, or do the ebay route like i did and simply search "bulb# led". I have JDM tails which use different bulbs, but all of mine were direct fit plug n play as well, all work perfectly fine. High beams im sure are possible, but I dont see a benefit over just a normal bulb unless you use your high beams a lot? They make 9005 LED bulbs im sure for the high beam application too if you are serious about doing it.

Now turn signals are NOT plug and play. Those will require load resistors to be tapped (is that the right word?) into the stock wiring for the bulb, as without them the lights will hyperflash and or not work properly.

Back