Reginald is totaled

ReginaldWagon

:
2014 Mazda3 i Touring, 2002 Mazda Protege5
Other party is completely at fault, and yes, this person is an idiot. Airbags deployed, the passenger airbag shattered the windshield (which still kind of alarms me) and the passenger side seat belt seized up despite not being in use and I found the covers for it popped off.

Last edited:
If you can wrangle it into neutral the vehicle will start and roll forward, but the other gears do not appear to work. The car hasn't been on for more than a minute or two just to load it and I can't get the hood open without causing more damage so I haven't been able to see the extent of the damage to the engine.

Last edited:
Did you run over something? I don't understand how the transmission wouldn't work, the dmg doesn't look to extend into the engine bay that far. Or maybe I'm just a noob xD

It was a t-bone collision. I suspect the issue related to it not turning on while in park is because the crank sensor is damaged.

If the crank sensor is damaged, your car will never start or run right, completely independent of gear.

The transmission functions just enough to get it rolling forward onto a truck. I have no doubt some of the teeth inside were damaged from the impact. From what I can see after further inspection, the impact appears to have pushed the radiator and radiator support back into the engine at a downward angle. The engine runs, doesn't appear to be overheating and no fluid has leaked out. I am considering buying the vehicle back, and I would put a rebuilt transmission into it rather than repairing the damaged one. Currently though, after getting beat up in Reginald I'm not really in any shape to inspect the vehicle any further or begin repairs if I decide to buy it back. I may have the car taken to my preferred body shop to see if the car could be made roadworthy again.

that sucks man, looks like you had a nice one there.

Reginald had been garaged for the majority of his life and never saw snow. He was also fortunate having never received a door ding in a parking lot.

Anyone looking for half a Protege5? You chop and haul! Ha, kidding.

The car has been declared a total loss, I received a less than reasonable offer (apparently $500+ in new tires with no tread wear yet = $12.50 per tire to them).

The car has been declared a total loss, I received a less than reasonable offer (apparently $500+ in new tires with no tread wear yet = $12.50 per tire to them).

Rip offs, sounds like it would be cheaper repairing and keeping, better the devil you know.

Rip offs, sounds like it would be cheaper repairing and keeping, better the devil you know.

Unfortunately, it's not just cosmetic damage or I would repair it. The crap $6k settlement for the vehicle the insurance offered isn't enough to repair it or to replace it with a comparable vehicle. The other parties insurance hasn't gotten back to me either since making that crap offer, which I know delaying is a tactic of theirs to get me to accept less than the vehicle is worth. I expect to hear from the insurance by Monday after the idiot driver signs for the letter I sent threatening to sue them. I'm really in the holiday spirit this year. :D

$6,000 for a Protege 5 is good. KBB in excellent condition with 80,000 miles doesn't even get you $5500. How many miles are on it? What kind of shape? What mods?

You can always dispute it. I assume you just bought it since you're a new member. Do you have the bill of sale along with all the receipts for whatever you've done since? Add it up and show it to the insurance company. I know some people who have gotten more than KBB for their vehicle by just disputing.

Last edited:
In California insurance companies are required to pay sales tax and reimburse you a pro-rated amount of your registration which is part of the offer. I have records of everything and frankly I'm not (nor do I expect) to take a loss on this vehicle.

The insurance backed down and I have accepted their $7600+ settlement offer for the vehicle. Keeping good records is what really helped in this situation.

Back