No New Mazda2 for the United States

Mazda Diesel keeps on getting pushed back, and pushed back in North America. The fact is the market for diesel cars here is a very niche market. Most people who I talked to would rather own a VW diesel or go for a hybrid instead of a diesel.

From what I understand, the Mazda diesel engine programme keeps on getting pushed back because of the stringent NA (ie. US) emission requirements. Mazda can meet the US emissions requirement, but it'll reduce engine performance, and that is unacceptable to Mazda. In its current state, the engine meets Mazda's performance targets, but not the US emissions requirements. And thus the programme continues to get pushed back as Mazda works to meet both goals.

Thank California.

They didn't want to do an exhaust after treatment. Now, apparently, they are going to do add it just so they can sell the damn thing. Blu Def for everyone!

From what I understand, the Mazda diesel engine programme keeps on getting pushed back because of the stringent NA (ie. US) emission requirements. Mazda can meet the US emissions requirement, but it'll reduce engine performance, and that is unacceptable to Mazda. In its current state, the engine meets Mazda's performance targets, but not the US emissions requirements. And thus the programme continues to get pushed back as Mazda works to meet both goals.

I heard the same...it's to do with California's emission regulations. Maybe they should not have a diesel model for California? In any event, diesel from all manufacturers are popular in some parts of Asia and especially in Europe.

When I lived in California, you couldn't even by a Mercedes diesel car brand new. The main problem is that most of the inspection stations cannot handle a diesel, and that pre-dated the DEF requirements.

It's time we start getting downright Serial on this s***...

This is what I think we've got so far...
- The current (or soon-to-be old gen) Mazda2 did not perform spectacularly and has been rumored to be discontinued before, so might just be the old mill. http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/29/slow-selling-mazda2-may-not-be-renewed-for-u-s/

- It was also once rumored the CX-3 would never come ashore: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/18/rumored-mazda-cx-3-may-not-be-for-us/#image-5

- Mazda has been in confirmed talks to use the new Mazda2 as the foundation for the upcoming Scion iM for Toyota: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/mazda-opens-new-plant-salamanca-mexico and here, "Rumor has it the sedan will be based on the 2016 Mazda 2" http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/scion-im-and-new-sedan-set-for-2015-ny-auto-show-debut/

- Mazda will be making it for Toyota just across the border in Mexico, and maybe for themselves too: http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2014/201410/141023a.html

- If you Google search the following: "2015 mazda2" and "2016 mazda2" then compare, the vast majority of large news site for the 2016 results are primarily USA-based news sites such as edmunds.com, caranddriver.com, motortrend.com and cnet.com.

- Perhaps those sites know something we don't and it's slated to be released alongside the newly face-lifted Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2016-mazda-cx-5-official/#image-3 and http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2016-mazda6-la-2014/#image-3

- Has anyone noticed that we're the new Mazda6, CX-3 and the CX-5 have new versions of LED running headlamps that look nearly identical in shape:

mazda_2_skyactiv_d_1_5_large_235338.jpg

10-2016-mazda-cx-5-la-1.jpg

03-2016-mazda6-la-1.jpg

013-2016-mazda-cx-3-live-1.jpg

03-2016-mazda-cx-5-la-1.jpg

- And possibly Mazda wants to release all three side models by side together? Sounds like good marketing. Mazda's new 2016 face and thus, the new Mazda2 should wait to come out with the alongside the rest of them?

Also as a side note: I live in San Diego, and just last week we can the International Auto Show so I went down on a mission to get some answers out of the Mazda Reps and of the four I asked - they all seemed disappointed about it and said "it's not coming to the USA right now, maybe in the future but right now no confirmation." They acted like upper management needs to wake up and realize that this segment makes a s*** load of money in the USA with the Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit and VW Golf.

Last edited:
@needmazda2

Nice title and nice investigative work.

1. The whole Mazda 2 did not perform well in the US thing i just don't buy. I see them all over the place in South Florida. Maybe they didn't sell like crazy but who knows what Mazda's expected sales numbers were compared to what they actually sold. I know i couldn't find a white pearl in Florida and it had to be shipped from another state. Possibly meaning that all the white pearls in Florida got sold. I don't know what to believe.

2. The new CX-3 is coming to the US but I'm afraid that Mazda is replacing the Mazda 2 with the CX-3. Which in all honesty i can see happening 100%. The CUV / SUV market is much bigger in the US and they want to take advantage. I'm ok with that, but sell the Mazda 2 as well. In smaller numbers. Give it a freaking chance. It can 100% compete with the Fiesta, Fiat, Mini and Golf.

3. A Mazda / Toyota partnership has been talked about for years now so this could be a good sign but doesn't necessarily mean that the new Mazda 2 would be sold in the US.

4. Unfortunately as much as it doesn't make any sense to make the new 2 in Mexico and then not sell it in the US, it can totally happen. Mexico gets cars like the Audi A1 and A3 two door but we never got them in the US. Who knows how these car manufacturers think man. It's like a riddle within a riddle, wrapped in a riddle in a box of riddles.

5 & 6. Even the American sites that have reported on the new 2 don't have solid info on whether or not it's coming to the US. It's a straight up conundrum.

7 & 8. Mazda is designing some nice headlights now. Total design over all has gone up a few notches.

9. Your local Mazda dealer news does not sound good. Along with what i was told on the official Mazda USA Instagram page. Although someone else posted on here that their local Mazda dealer says that it is coming to the US.

This my friend, is cluster f@ck.

Last edited:
@needmazda2

Nice title and nice investigative work.

1. The whole Mazda 2 did not perform well in the US thing i just don't buy. I see them all over the place in South Florida. Maybe they didn't sell like crazy but who knows what Mazda's expected sales numbers were compared to what they actually sold. I know i couldn't find a white pearl in Florida and it had to be shipped from another state. Possibly meaning that all the white pearls in Florida got sold. I don't know what to believe.

2. The new CX-3 is coming to the US but I'm afraid that Mazda is replacing the Mazda 2 with the CX-3. Which in all honesty i can see happening 100%. The CUV / SUV market is much bigger in the US and they want to take advantage. I'm ok with that, but sell the Mazda 2 as well. In smaller numbers. Give it a freaking chance. It can 100% compete with the Fiesta, Fiat, Mini and Golf.

3. A Mazda / Toyota partnership has been talked about for years now so this could be a good sign but doesn't necessarily mean that the new Mazda 2 would be sold in the US.

4. Unfortunately as much as it doesn't make any sense to make the new 2 in Mexico and then not sell it in the US, it can totally happen. Mexico gets cars like the Audi A1 and A3 two door but we never got them in the US. Who knows how these car manufacturers think man. It's like a riddle within a riddle, wrapped in a riddle in a box of riddles.

5 & 6. Even the American sites that have reported on the new 2 don't have solid info on whether or not it's coming to the US. It's a straight up conundrum.

7 & 8. Mazda is designing some nice headlights now. Total design over all has gone up a few notches.

9. Your local Mazda dealer news does not sound good. Along with what i was told on the official Mazda USA Instagram page. Although someone else posted on here that their local Mazda dealer says that it is coming to the US.

This my friend, is cluster f@ck.

*sigh*

I just want the new model.

I just want a cx-5 diesel or turbo the sky 2.5 and a Mitsubishi mirage.

Couple more things I forgot...

First, I remember now reading articles, in which it looks promising for us because the new Mazda2 is apart of a greater plan to expand Mazda's limited model range. Not just a facelift the rest of the world gets to play with as we Americans look longing upon. Here: http://www.am-online.com/news/2013/12/5/mazda-expands-skyactiv-engine-range-with-smallest-unit-to-date/34031/

And let's not forget, Mazda has produced a press release for the next gen model and it's labeled 2016: http://www.mazdausamedia.com/ALL-NEW-2016-MAZDA2-MAKES-GLOBAL-DEBUT#assets_112:22833

So I think it's more plausible to assume that Mazda has slowed or halted plans to release the Mazda2 around this time due to the CX-3. That was never specified any where either.

This just seems altogether weird that they'd spend all this time publicizing it only to cut it from the lineup due to unknown reasons - some as vague as "Americans don't like small cars." I'd argue the possibility of this car never coming to America is in direct opposition to their fiscal goals.

First, I remember now reading articles, in which it looks promising for us because the new Mazda2 is apart of a greater plan to expand Mazda's limited model range. Not just a facelift the rest of the world gets to play with as we Americans look longing upon. Here: http://www.am-online.com/news/2013/12/5/mazda-expands-skyactiv-engine-range-with-smallest-unit-to-date/34031/

And let's not forget, Mazda has produced a press release for the next gen model and it's labeled 2016: http://www.mazdausamedia.com/ALL-NEW-2016-MAZDA2-MAKES-GLOBAL-DEBUT#assets_112:22833

So I think it's more plausible to assume that Mazda has slowed or halted plans to release the Mazda2 around this time due to the CX-3. That was never specified any where either.

This just seems altogether weird that they'd spend all this time publicizing it only to cut it from the lineup due to unknown reasons - some as vague as "Americans don't like small cars." I'd argue the possibility of this car never coming to America is in direct opposition to their fiscal goals.

Be aware of the dates in those articles. I think you might be confused on the definition of facelift. The 2014's everyone else has globally is the '2016 Mazda 2' the USA media site is refering to. It's not just a facelift... Everyone already has the new DJ model.

However, that media release is interesting... It would make sense that Mazda would release the new DJ chassis in the US alongside the generation facelift. We didn't get the DE model until after its facelift either. The 2/Demio's lifecycle is just awkwardly timed with the rest of the line-up.

So the new Mazda2 is a no-show at the Detroit Auto Show going on right now, whereas MazdaUSA did see fit to display the new MX-5 and CX-3 at the show. Where is the 2? Rumor is they sent it to the Montreal Auto Show taking place later this week. Make of that what you will. But do note that the previous generation Mazda2 also made its North American debut at the Montreal Auto Show, yet still came to States. Still, if this is all just a big misunderstanding, one way to reassure us restless natives would be to bring the car to an American auto show. Any American auto show. Surely by now they don't have only one car to display, when other parts of the world are driving them on the street.

If the 2 does show up in Montreal and the press doesn't say anything about US availability after the first couple days of the show, I may have to make the 5 hour drive up there myself and see if the reps on the floor have any info, unlikely as that is.

I think Mazda Canada has always operated on its own in regards to car models. They every got the BH 323 hatchback model in limited numbers which skipped the US. It would be interesting to see what the say about the Mazda 2.

-Derrick

I don't see Mazda promoting the new Mazda 2 in the United States at all. A no show at every single American car show so far. Zero advertising toward American audiences. The US Mazda website does not have it listed or even teased but most other Mazda websites around the world do. For example Mazda Canada does has it teased. Interesting though, that Mazda Mexico, where the new Mazda 2 is being build does not have it listed.

Even though the current Mazda 2 was shown in Canada in 2007 ( ??? ) it wasn't made available in the US until 2011. I really hope this is not the plan for the new one.

My biggest annoyance is that Mazda doesn't say either way if it's coming or not.

I went to the Boston Auto Show today, not expecting much. It's usually a small-time show that rarely features any future models or concepts, just local dealer stock and a few misfit alternative fuel vehicles that weren't cool enough to go to Detroit. This year was no different. No new Mazda2, but no new MX-5 or CX-3 either. So I walk up to the Mazda floor rep and ask him if he knows anything about the new Mazda2, expecting to get a blank stare and some mumbling about it not being on his sheet of talking points. Instead he confidently answered, without hesitation:

"Not coming to the US. It didn't sell well enough here. International sales only."

He added that he wasn't very high on the Mazda totem pole and things could always change, but that's what they were told as of the L.A. Auto Show back in November.

So, I think that's a wrap. MazdaUSA doesn't need the vehicle that's already won Car of the Year in Japan and the Golden Steering Wheel in Germany. They're smarter than everyone else, just like when they made the US 2nd gen. Mazda6 fatter and uglier than the one the rest of the world got. Why sell the best car in the world in its segment, when you can sell nothing in its segment? Especially when you don't have that many different models to begin with.

I'm pissed. At least I didn't have to go all the way to Montreal to find this out.

Of course the last gen Mazda2 didn't sell very well. The Mazda3 and Mazda6 both got better EPA mileage, plus they haven't spent a dime on marketing the Mazda2 since, like, 2012! A lot of people were waiting for the next gen to come out, so they didn't buy a 2014 model. If my old car hadn't died 3 months ago, I would have bought a 2015 or 2016 model.
Make a great product and people will buy it.

The thing is though, they don't need to sell that well. Just don't order as many of them, same as the Miata. This car is going to be built just over the border in Mexico anyway. It's going to meet North American safety standards anyway, because it's going to be sold in Canada. The cost of additional production for the US is as minimal as possible. It is simply insane to refuse to sell any amount of this car in the States. It's already here. Made on our southern border, sold on our northern border.

Back