No New Mazda2 for the United States

To be honest with you I always felt that a MS2 version was never going to happen. I want it to but i just didn't believe it. The final dagger will be if Mazda does come out with one and it's Japan only.

Fiesta ST is a great hatch and although it does look pretty good a new MS2 would have been great. Fiesta ST is the best one for the price no doubt about it.

I was planning to get the Mazdaspeed version of the next 2 when it dropped. I've been fighting off buying a FiST for nearly a year, but I may just cave-in soon if Mazda is not offering the next 2 in the US. I agree with many of the other posts, I want a car the size of the 2 or the Fiesta. I just don't really care for anything larger. Fortunately, with the FiST around, there is an option that is not only amazing, but better than anything that's *ever* been offered at that size in the US before. At least there's that. I was really hoping Mazda would offer a competitor to the FiST. I have no doubt that Mazda's effort would be superior and bullet-proof.

What could have been or something to your own taste.

10808489_315884791944742_1358594341_n.jpg

I doubt there would ever be a Mazdaspeed2, anyway. It's an economy city car. Do the Mazda engineers wish they could make a Mazdaspeed everything? Hell yeah, but it won't make them any money. Mazda have got to keep it real, at least for right now. If anything, there's gonna be a new MS3 and that's it. The brand simply can't afford it yet.

Makes sense that we won't get the new 2. Nobody was buying the old one.

Last edited:
Another USA factor is lower gas prices. People are already starting to buy big SUVs again, because AMERICA. So, they think the CX3 will fit here better.

I cant say i'm surprised... however.. the only thing that doesnt make sense to me is that they will be making them in mexico... right next door.. cant see why they would at least attempt it. oh well.. now i wont be tempted to trade in my 2.

First of all, great post and discussion but I sincerely hope this is not true! Why would Mazda create a factory to build the new 2 right next door to the USA and not sell it there...They usually build cars outside Japan in or near the market they sell them in, right?

Mazda WANTS to sell A LOT more cars and they're not going to do it by removing models from markets.

It's entirely possible the person who responded to you via IG was mistaken and or ill informed....At least I hope so because I'd love to see the new 2 in North America!

if it is true my speculation would be that since "economy" cars are pushing more towards luxury, like the new fit and the new mazda2, and the disappointing sales/reception of the new fit in the US, Mazda decided to back out of the American market.

It's entirely possible the person who responded to you via IG was mistaken and or ill informed....

It's quite likely, in fact. The people Mazda has doing the social media are often wrong about things, so who knows if it's true or not.

Retweet if you're interested:

"@MazdaUSA Will the new #Mazda2 come to the USA for the 2016 model year?"

https://twitter.com/Knee_Dragon/status/541105546619654144

My guess: no one sets up a new product line in a Mexico plant who isn't selling to the U.S. I can understand moving old tooling to Mexico to stretch a few more years out of the investment by selling to the relatively poor cental and south american markets - but not a brand new product. And no one goes half-in on shared product lines just to let their competitor (Toyota) have monopoly on a local market as big as the U.S.

Another guess: Mazda will remain tight-lipped on a U.S. launch of the Mazda2 because they don't want to distract from their marketing effort on as few a products as possible at one time. So this winter, it's the CX-3. Come spring 2015, it's the MX-5. Come summer 2015, it's the Mazda2.

And I love the red tow-hook tongue in the above mock-up. Any chance that is a feasible real-life location for a tow hook? If so, I'd be interested.

Last edited:
While visiting the LA Auto Show I was surprised to see the current 2014 Mazda2 featured in the Mazda's booth, not the new and upcoming 2 model.

I guess this news makes a bit of sense...

Mike

I love my '14 2 sport. The best feature is the 2006 lb curb weight. And she bites on a hard corner like almost nothing else. Put sticky rubber on her, and she will eat an autocross course with a smile. And, every passenger during a autox run winds up giggling.

It is a shame that Mazda USA doesn't respect this car.

When I bought this car, I didn't want black or white, and the local dealership didn't have a sport in stock. I had to drive 100 miles to find a sport, and it is the dull blue color. They don't push this car - I even got it for a discount - so they didn't make much on it. They don't even put them on the front of the lot.

I love my '14 2 sport. The best feature is the 2006 lb curb weight.

You sure on that or was it a typo? If so, I need to trade in for the 14. I'm thinking it's closer to 2300 than 2000. but 2200 stock ish is within reach.

Sorry, jasyatz, you are correct. It is 2306 not 2006. But it is still one of the lightest sub-compacts out there.

So, I worked out a deal to trade in my 2 for a 2015 Mazda 3 last night (moment of silence for the 2). I still have the 2 for a couple more days until the new car arrives from the port - however, when I spoke one of the managers at the dealership, he said they are slated to get the new 2 next October.

Most likely they will blame low US sales and American's lack of interest in small hatchback or pretty much any hatchback of any size. Now, install a lift kit on a Mazda 2 and call it a CX3 and people freaking love it!

I don't know about that. The Mirage is selling extremely well and I see more with temp plates in San Antonio everyday.

I don't know about that. The Mirage is selling extremely well and I see more with temp plates in San Antonio everyday.

i can honestly say i have never seen a mirage in California yet, but i rarely see any other mazda2's, except there are 3 coworkers with them.

i can honestly say i have never seen a mirage in California yet, but i rarely see any other mazda2's, except there are 3 coworkers with them.
Kind of surprising in a congested city such as LA. San Antonio has a huge road network but it's pretty congested (compounded by constant construction). I guess it depends on whether people are buying a small car for price or mpg (considering all mirages are pretty much new, it could be the new car market is better here).

Back