No New Mazda2 for the United States

:
2012 Mazda 2
I guess i have breaking news unfortunately, and one i completely expected and one I'm extremely disappointed about. Not only are we not getting a new MAZDASPEED2 we are not getting the new Mazda 2 in the United States according to the Official Instagram account for Mazda USA ( @mazdausa ).

I'm not sure how 100% factual this is but it does come from @mazdausa replying to a question i had on why the new Mazda 2 had not been shown in the USA yet. They replied with the following.

Is this true Antoine?

@fontmotorsports Post

@mazdausa Original Post

10844245_1520300784887780_342787163_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good, now I won't have to see them in person and fight the temptation to trade in my old one.

The only reasons I can come up with for Mazda not bringing the 2 to the U.S. are either Mazda doesn't want to compete with the Fit or the Fiesta or we're not getting the new 2 because it's been developed alongside the new Yaris.

So, if we want a subcompact sitting on the new 2's platform, we have to run to Toyota? I don't think so.

That's all they told me. From all accounts when a car manufacture doesn't release a new model to the US they usually don't until they create a new one. So i would not expect it to ever come here. It boggles the mind.

Perhaps they just meant for the 2015 model year?

Most likely they will blame low US sales and American's lack of interest in small hatchback or pretty much any hatchback of any size. Now, install a lift kit on a Mazda 2 and call it a CX3 and people freaking love it!

The only reasons I can come up with for Mazda not bringing the 2 to the U.S. are either Mazda doesn't want to compete with the Fit or the Fiesta or we're not getting the new 2 because it's been developed alongside the new Yaris.

So, if we want a subcompact sitting on the new 2's platform, we have to run to Toyota? I don't think so.

Most likely they will blame low US sales and American's lack of interest in small hatchback or pretty much any hatchback of any size. Now, install a lift kit on a Mazda 2 and call it a CX3 and people freaking love it!

Unforunately, that's because most American car consumers are morons. That's why Ford can get away with selling a brand new Fiesta with Sync and Bluetooth...and manual windows and no cruise control. Americans want a nice, comfortable sofa to roll around on so they can mindlessly text away and pay no attention at all to actually driving. Make it look flashy and give it a bit of ground clearance so owners can lord it over the other mindless plebs, and it'll sell like hot cakes.

Yeah, unlikely that the Toyota version will look anywhere near as nice as the new Mazda 2.

Not only is it going to be ugly, but the Yaris is catastrophically boring. Sitting on the 2's underpinnings won't fix that. Toyota will slap a hideously dull interior in the Yaris and a conservative exterior for the sake of reliability and resale value. "Toyota" and "exciting" hardly ever go together in the same sentence.

I can not disagree with anything you just wrote. The reason @mazdaus replied to me was because i asked them why has the new Mazda 2 not been shown at all in the United States but the new CX3 has been. That was their answer.

Unforunately, that's because most American car consumers are morons. That's why Ford can get away with selling a brand new Fiesta with Sync and Bluetooth...and manual windows and no cruise control. Americans want a nice, comfortable sofa to roll around on so they can mindlessly text away and pay no attention at all to actually driving. Make it look flashy and give it a bit of ground clearance so owners can lord it over the other mindless plebs, and it'll sell like hot cakes.

Not only is it going to be ugly, but the Yaris is catastrophically boring. Sitting on the 2's underpinnings won't fix that. Toyota will slap a hideously dull interior in the Yaris and a conservative exterior for the sake of reliability and resale value. "Toyota" and "exciting" hardly ever go together in the same sentence.

They might not be bringing a new 2 for the same reason Ford dropped the Ranger a few years back...Mazda would rather have people buying the 3, just like Ford wanted potential Ranger buyers to get an F-150, since the Ranger had grown to be nearly as big as the F-150. Also the reason why VW won't bring the Polo to the U.S....because they don't want to bite into sales of the Golf. Why spend $15-16k on a 2 when you could spend a couple thousand more (not even, with the case of the sedan) and get a new 3?

Again, agreed. They have the mentality that EVERYONE would buy a 3 over a 2 only because it's bigger and only a few grand more. This is not the case with a lot of buyers. Me being one. I want the premium stuff in a small hatch. Fiat and Mini GET this idea. Mazda does not.

It's the same with VW. They won't sell the Sirocco or the Polo in the US because they don't want them to eat into Golf/GTI sales. But that doesn't stop VW from selling all of the hatchbacks they make in the UK.

They might not be bringing a new 2 for the same reason Ford dropped the Ranger a few years back...Mazda would rather have people buying the 3, just like Ford wanted potential Ranger buyers to get an F-150, since the Ranger had grown to be nearly as big as the F-150. Also the reason why VW won't bring the Polo to the U.S....because they don't want to bite into sales of the Golf. Why spend $15-16k on a 2 when you could spend a couple thousand more (not even, with the case of the sedan) and get a new 3?

Last edited:
Yeah, since the CX-3 is a bit bigger than the new 2...it's big enough to satisfy people who won't a small car (bigger than the 2) without biting into sales of the CX-5. I suspect the CX-3 will also be reasonably less expensive than the CX-5, so people can justify taking the cheaper option.

Again, agreed. They have the mentality that EVERYONE would buy a 3 over a 2 only because it's bigger and only a few grand more. This is not the case with a lot of buyers. Me being one. I want the premium stuff in a small hatch. Fiat and Mini GET this idea. Mazda does not.

Fiat and Mini are also big enough to invest in that idea. Fiat is a huge car company and Mini is owned by BMW...so they have the cash to invest in a "premium" small hatch. Mazda is a smaller car maker, so I can understand how they need to be careful where they put their money. After all, their investment didn't work out so great for the current-gen 2.

Very true. I like the new CX3 however i won't buy it. If i did, I'd only turn it into a hot hatch. :)

Yeah, since the CX-3 is a bit bigger than the new 2...it's big enough to satisfy people who won't a small car (bigger than the 2) without biting into sales of the CX-5. I suspect the CX-3 will also be reasonably less expensive than the CX-5, so people can justify taking the cheaper option.

You are correct. However, i bet the sales of the Mazda 2 in Asian countries was huge. It came out in 2007!! I'm thinking that equate to many Mazda 2 sales. Plus, it was reported that Mazda was going to build the new 2 in Mexico.

Mazda2 production fires up in Mexico

If that is true then they'd be making the new Mazda 2 in Mexico but not selling it in the United States?

Fiat and Mini are also big enough to invest in that idea. Fiat is a huge car company and Mini is owned by BMW...so they have the cash to invest in a "premium" small hatch. Mazda is a smaller car maker, so I can understand how they need to be careful where they put their money. After all, their investment didn't work out so great for the current-gen 2.

I had forgotten about that...I really have no idea why they're not selling it here. All my points are speculation, and we'll never really know until Mazda does a press release of some sort, which they won't. Mazda is the king of the rumor mill. They'll pull crap like they did on Instagram and won't provide a shred of supporting documentation.

I was planning to get the Mazdaspeed version of the next 2 when it dropped. I've been fighting off buying a FiST for nearly a year, but I may just cave-in soon if Mazda is not offering the next 2 in the US. I agree with many of the other posts, I want a car the size of the 2 or the Fiesta. I just don't really care for anything larger. Fortunately, with the FiST around, there is an option that is not only amazing, but better than anything that's *ever* been offered at that size in the US before. At least there's that. I was really hoping Mazda would offer a competitor to the FiST. I have no doubt that Mazda's effort would be superior and bullet-proof.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. For sure. 100% nothing will be said.

I had forgotten about that...I really have no idea why they're not selling it here. All my points are speculation, and we'll never really know until Mazda does a press release of some sort, which they won't. Mazda is the king of the rumor mill. They'll pull crap like they did on Instagram and won't provide a shred of supporting documentation.

Back