Strange rumble/vibration issue at low speed

Alfissimoint.

:
08' CX-9 AWD
I am experiencing a vibration (rumble), shudder issue between 20-35mph. It is more noticeable on acceleration, slightly drops off if I let off and completely goes away coasting in Neutral or still in Drive. Seems to disappear sometimes as well. Not every time but occasionally. If I accelerate quickly sometimes the vibration does not occur or is minimal.

I also have a strange squeak sound from the front suspension area. I have gone under it today but cannot find any issues. Checked motor mounts and other suspension bushings. I also checked CV joints which seem fine, they move but seem to be within normal tolerances! Vibration is a bit more pronounced in turns if I turn wheel back and forth. I can feel the vibration in the wheel and up front. I can start from stop and hit the accelerator hard and the front end will squeak a bit. I have no issues with traction or AWD system.

At the moment I do need some new tires and my tire pressure light has been coming on occasionally in the mornings due to cold weather.

I am suspecting the main drive shaft (propeller shaft), maybe the bearing mounts? maybe the front part that enters the transmission? I have not checked the rear for any issues as it seems the rumble sound is throughout the car but more pronounced in the front. Seems as though the car needs more power between these speeds as well but I do not drive this car all the time so I am not totally in tune with it.
How flexible should the 2 mounts be on the propeller shaft? Also I have to take a pic and post it

Any help would be great.

Thanks

cx-9 AWD 08'

Last edited:
I also have no change if I put it in manual. With some research most with same issues did not have this issue in manual mode. So I am ruling out the transmission or transfer case. I have replaced the rear diff oil and trans ATF about a year ago with high end Motul approved for the transmission and Diff. This is something strange that just came up.

i don't know that i have a good answer for you - but is there any slop in the wheel when you have it up in the air? just to rule out wheel bearings or anything like that.

are all of your tires same, same size, same pressure? I had a similar issue when I was driving on a spare, I'm guess the diff was making a noise.

Not positive but the right front wheel has some movement in it that I do not like. God I hope it is just a wheel bearing. I will not shell out thousands on transmission parts, this thing is gone if so. I have been reading all the horror stories on transfer cases, rear diffs and transmission on this car. Although it is time to change the tranny fluid even though it shifts super smooth I am not in the mood nor want to spend the funds on that garbage.

Yes. Right front bearing is no good IMO. A good amount of play. I have ordered 2x SKF FW50 wheel bearings to replace. I hope that is the issue and not something more serious. If anyone else has thoughts it would be great to hear.

How much are the bearings? or did you buy the whole unit with the hub? if you bought the bearings alone are they easy to replace.

Most of the time, the bearing are not serviceable and you have to buy the whole hub. Not sure on the CX9, haven't done them yet.

You need to jack up car and check for play in the wheels. Grab top and bottom and side to side , move it slightly to feel or hear for play. None of my other wheels had play except for from right. I now hear grinding in it with a rumble.
Yes all tires are new, balanced and proper PSI of 34

We will find out if it is serviceable but many bearing manufacturers from NTN, SKF, Timkin and others offer the wheel bearing alone. I think it can be serviceable but I will let you know as soon as I find out for sure.

Turns out the mechanic thinks it's the axles. He removed the propeller shaft to isolate the problem and the vibration continued. The axle shafts vibrate at speed. I hope thats the issue. Any recommendations of axles?

DunDunDun..

I was having these chassis vibrations on slow speed corners. They replaced the transfer case thinking that was the issue. It wasnt. They pulled my prop shaft, and the vibration continued. So Mazda put a full replacement rear axle in, and that 100% stopped my issues.

So it sounds like there on the right track with pulling the rear axle to help isolate the issue. The Mazda dealership said i was the first rear axle problem they have had to fully replace, There wasnt even a axle assembly in the States, and it had to be shipped down from Canada.

Yes. I think this is the issue as well although mine are the front axles. I have also ordered the half shaft bearing to cover my bases. I found one OEM axle at one dealer with the other on BO with no date. I found another dealer that had both…I think. I am still waiting on an answer from them. I hope to get this solved asap.

Back