P0300 on start up ONLY after car sitting unused for a few days

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all....

I'm having a bit of trouble with my other car and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I haven't had much luck at other forums. I actually do own a protege5 and have posted here before, but my trouble is with my other vehicle (Mitsubishi outlander 2009 155,000km). You guys seem to know a great deal about cars so I thought I'd try and ask you guys.

I get a very rough and shuddery start in the morning ONLY after the vehicle hasn't been used for a few days (3 or 4). It just started happening the last month so the temps are a bit cooler as well. It doesn't catch just rattles and shudders. I trun the key off. Try it again and it sounds better but the CEL is on and it is a p0300 code. After this, it drives fine. Even the next day after sitting overnight it starts no problem even though the light is still on. Eventually the CEL goes off. If I drive it everyday, everything is fine.

This has happened twice ONLY after not using the vehicle for a while. I did notice some smoke out of the tailpipe the second time it happened.

The mechanic thought it might be coil packs but since it is only happening after the car sits for extended times he thinks it might be related to a fuel pressure drop over time.

We had a p0300 code a year ago and the plugs were changed (he had to remove the intake manifold to get at some of them). Now, if it was a vaccuum leak somewhere, I am assuming it would be more consistent with a rougher idle? Am I right on this?

Anyway, I am just hoping you guys could give some suggestions as I don't have the cash for the mechanic to be blindly trying to fix this.

Thanks in advance
dave

p0300 - random engine misfire.
I was going to say coil plugs and/or spark plugs, but after reading the details the coil packs (or plug wires) maybe beginning to fail.
I would double check the spark plugs (see if they're wet {fuel or oil}and replace with the same type that came OEM probably NGK.
Last 2 things could be carbon buildup or a fuel issue with one of the injectors.
I would warm up the engine and take it for a long drive and take to redline a few times before replacing parts.

could be a fuel pressure regulator thats bleeding off pressure. as stated above check for wet plugs and then troubleshoot fuel or oil depending if it has any of these on the plugs

Back