Help, my mazda protg 5 bogs out and has no power , check engine light flashes

missbrattlee

:
Mazda protg 5
Help, my mazda protg 5 bogs out and has no power , check engine light flashes

I just recently bought a 2002 Mazda protege5 and everything was fine for 2 weeks and then all the sudden it started bogging out check engine light comes on and starts flashing and I have no power it's a 5 speed I need help I had the trouble codes ran and I got P0300 and I was told it needed a new fuel pressure regulator thing so I bought one and it still runs like crap it almost feels like it's a problem with my catalytic converter cuz I also smelled rotten eggs coming from my exhaust plz help

missbrattlee

Last edited:
Time for a tuneup. Most likely its coil packs but it's an older car so best bet is to replace plugs and wires as well

And whoever told you fuel preassure regulator needs a kick in the nuts

Catalytic converter is probably bad from having fuel throw. On it from the missfire issue, they're sensitive and will go bad pretty quickly from a car runing rich

P0300 is a misfire code. I would suspect coils or wires.

Plug wire would be an individual missfire which would be a code for that particular cylinder. Unless more than one went bad at one time coil packs are the only thing that could cause a missfire in more than one cylinder

Ok thank you I will look into that right away and thank you for the help it's hard to get any body to help when your a girl lol

missbrattlee

I just recently bought a 2005 Mazda protege5 and everything was fine for 2 weeks and then all the sudden it started bogging out check engine light comes on and starts flashing and I have no power it's a 5 speed I need help I had the trouble codes ran and I got P0300 and I was told it needed a new fuel pressure regulator thing so I bought one and it still runs like crap it almost feels like it's a problem with my catalytic converter cuz I also smelled rotten eggs coming from my exhaust plz help

missbrattlee

just have to say this, not to be rude, the protege5 was made in 02 and 03 only after 03 no proteges were built (sold in us markets) thats when the mazda 3 started so you cant have an 05 protege 5. but that sounds like coil packs failing, common on these cars, replace both the spark plug wires and the spark plugs just to get every possibility taken care of. if its been misfiring bad like that enough to make the check engine light to flash then you were dumping alot of raw fuel into the cat. converter and you may have fouled it up, but the way your bogging down and with the flashing light i can guarantee you you need new coils

Autozone is the place I usually go but they're the ones that told me that I needed to buy that $70 fuel pressure regulator thing that I didn't even need

missbrattlee

every person has had different experiences and fixes with cars and every car is different the person recommending that may have fixed an issue on another car with that regulator, i did on a sentra, when the engine was warm it had trouble starting and ran bad replaced the regulator all fixed. with this car coils are common. i work at an autozone and when people ask me for fixes like that i suggest many things that could possibly be the issue. not every car is the same and not every car will need the same part to fix the issue, even with the same model every individual car is different and may have different things causing an issue. it could even be a dirty or failing mass airflow sensor, a clogged air filter a bad throttlebody a bad throttle position sensor, a weak fuel pump or something else internally. it could even be the ecm that controls everything causing the issue. only way to know is to rule out things 1 by 1.

No offense, but most autozone employees probly can't change their own oil

Mainly just depends on management and desperation for employees.

i do all my own work on my car i am a parts sales manager and i have worked there for 3 years to get your application looked at you have to pass an assessment of your basic car repair knowledge so they should know something but some of them get a friend to do it for the, they usually dont last long as they end up hating the job and quitting because everyone asks for advice and they cant answer them. but it being retail we dont make jack s*** soooo... that should be no surprise. i am just there til i finish college then getting a way better job hopefully, the employees at my store and most in my area are repair knowledgeable but every town and store is different, hell when they interviewed me they asked how do you change the oil on a car how do you do a tune up how do you check the fluids how do you change brakes (basics of each, not car specific) so in my area they do a good job of filtering the stupid ones out.

No offense, but most autozone employees probly can't change their own oil
Mainly just depends on management and desperation for employees.

and we are not allowed to tell you if something is 100% your issue as its a liability but we can give knowledgeable advice on diagnosis and what to look for.

Since no one has said it already: drive the car as little as possible until you get the coils replaced. The more you drive it as-is, the more damage done to the catalytic converter. Also, for what it's worth, new coils cleared up my P0300 code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get coils from rock-auto or Mazda. I had dieing coils and replaced them with said $30 coils from autozone and the car ran worse. Put the dieing coils back on until I got new ones from mazda and then the car cleared right up and ran like a top.

I got one coil from Autozone and one from O'Reilly, both with good warranties. No problems so far. They were more than the $30 I often see mentioned on this board, maybe because of the warranty, which I wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back