2007 Mazda 5 engine problems

MadMazdaMike

:
2007 Mazda 5
So here is an update to my previous problems. Here is the recap (Ok my car has been running rough lately.2007 Mazda 5. While I am in gear(waiting at a light for example) and the defrost is on the engine losses power sputters and almost stalls. With dfrost off its better but still sputters once in a while. Also it hesitates on acceleration.) I find it also does it while other accessories are on. Light's/wipers/heater. I have spent a ton of money on this issue without a proper solution. Here is the update of what has been done...

Mazda dealer did the following.

Preformed Throttle body service. No effect.
Was told that PCV Hose was torn and tear intermittently opens up intake manifold has minor vacuum leak at buttery fly shaft.
They went to service it and found that PCV was ok. PVC has reinforcement to prevent it from collapsing over time. So they didn't replace them because they where not a problem. ( So they lied to me about it being torn...assholes!)
Test drove it and still has the same problems.
disabled the AC compressor...still the same problems.
Checked for error codes- None!
Checked fuel pressures is ok(Reads 380kPa @ idle
So because they needed to make some money off of me. They insisted that I change engine mount #3 because it was broken. (I was but I knew that it wasn't the problem.)
I asked them if fixing the mount would fix the engine problem.....no clean answer other than they wouldn't proceed unless they and that mount fixed.
Fine I said....guess what.....same results...but the engine is muchs more quieter....
At that point I was done with Freeway Mazda,Surrey,BC,Canada.

I got a complete list of everything that they did to show to someone else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Budget Brake & Muffler

Showed them everything that was done by Mazda.

They too are having trouble pinpointing this issue.

So tried a Fuel Injection Cleaning Service.
I worked!! No hesitation or rough idle or stumble. Then the next day I was driving around and it started to stubble and hesitate of acceleration. All the same issues as before came back! WTF!!
I called the mechanic and he said there is a treatment in the fuel. I am to drive it around for a couple of days and see if it improves. If not to bring it back to them. $$$ going bye bye.

The battery has been checked -Good
The alternator is putting out the proper volts 13.
The sparks plugs are good. They are the correct ones. (Replaced them a couple of months ago.)

I am getting really frustrated! Does anyone have any other ideas that could help in solving this issue??? Pls!!

Mike from Surrey,BC,Canada

So here is an update to my previous problems. Here is the recap (Ok my car has been running rough lately.2007 Mazda 5. While I am in gear(waiting at a light for example) and the defrost is on the engine losses power sputters and almost stalls. With dfrost off its better but still sputters once in a while. Also it hesitates on acceleration.) I find it also does it while other accessories are on. Light's/wipers/heater. I have spent a ton of money on this issue without a proper solution. Here is the update of what has been done...

Mazda dealer did the following.

Preformed Throttle body service. No effect.
Was told that PCV Hose was torn and tear intermittently opens up intake manifold has minor vacuum leak at buttery fly shaft.
They went to service it and found that PCV was ok. PVC has reinforcement to prevent it from collapsing over time. So they didn't replace them because they where not a problem. ( So they lied to me about it being torn...assholes!)
Test drove it and still has the same problems.
disabled the AC compressor...still the same problems.
Checked for error codes- None!
Checked fuel pressures is ok(Reads 380kPa @ idle
So because they needed to make some money off of me. They insisted that I change engine mount #3 because it was broken. (I was but I knew that it wasn't the problem.)
I asked them if fixing the mount would fix the engine problem.....no clean answer other than they wouldn't proceed unless they and that mount fixed.
Fine I said....guess what.....same results...but the engine is muchs more quieter....
At that point I was done with Freeway Mazda,Surrey,BC,Canada.

I got a complete list of everything that they did to show to someone else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Budget Brake & Muffler

Showed them everything that was done by Mazda.

They too are having trouble pinpointing this issue.

So tried a Fuel Injection Cleaning Service.
I worked!! No hesitation or rough idle or stumble. Then the next day I was driving around and it started to stubble and hesitate of acceleration. All the same issues as before came back! WTF!!
I called the mechanic and he said there is a treatment in the fuel. I am to drive it around for a couple of days and see if it improves. If not to bring it back to them. $$$ going bye bye.

The battery has been checked -Good
The alternator is putting out the proper volts 13.
The sparks plugs are good. They are the correct ones. (Replaced them a couple of months ago.)

I am getting really frustrated! Does anyone have any other ideas that could help in solving this issue??? Pls!!

Mike from Surrey,BC,Canada

13volts is not enough power from the alternator... that sounds suspect... Either a failing regulator, or diodes in the alternator, or bad connections or grounds...

Have you gotten any rain recently? There was a TSB on 2006-2007 to replace a cowl gasket that leaked water unto the top of the motor causing errors...

There was a major ECU flash upgrade done on 2006-2007 to address some sensors that were being read too often and causing stumble, stalling...

Hey thanks for responding. No water has gotten in that I know of. Mind u I do live in BC,Canada and we get alot of rain. ;) I was also told by a someone else about ignition coil problems....here is the post

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2006-2007 Mazda5 vehicles
DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may experience an intermittent engine stumble while driving with light acceleration at 1500-2500
rpm. This is caused by the camshaft position sensor picking up noise from the nearby ignition coil harness,
which the PCM detects as an abnormal signal. To eliminate this concern, the PCM software has been changed.

If you have 100k miles on the car i would recommend new ignition coils. They put out 40k volts when new and slowly degrade. 100k miles is all i expect out of them, even if it has no misfire the coils are not putting out 40k volts. Coils are a maintenance item. Failure to replace them at 100k can destroy your cat converter due to excessive unburned fuel overheating it. You can buy the set on Ebay for under $100.
Your vacuum leak at the butterfly will throw off the MAP sensor reading and report false info to the PCM which can in turn cause your complaint. All vacuum leaks must be repaired given the symptoms you describe. Excessive ethanol in the fuel can cause what you describe. Anything over 10% will cause problems over time. The fact that the cleaner added to your gas helped for a time indicates that it is a possibility.
Other things that can cause your symptoms are MAF/MAP(boost sensor) partially restricted converter/PCM ( not sensing load ) ECT out of range/stuck open thermostat/torn aircleaner to ETM boot/collapsing PCV hoses under load/fuel pump sock partially clogged/and more.
I would change gas stations for a bit until the issue is resolved,fix the butterfly and PCV boots. Add Techron to the gas tank to decarbon the valves and add Marvins Mystery Oil to the gas to lube the pump and injector pintle's.

I responded with this today...

Well I have been driving for about a week now.I still have fuel treatment in fuel and have used a higher grad octane with techron. Same results. Hixx U mentioned that this issue happens with acceleration at 1500-2500 rpm. I notice that but what about when it the idle is around 700rpm and has a load on.(lights,wipers,defrost) Causing it to really stumble and almost stall....any relations with the coils on this issue?

1 thing I failed to mention is that a month before I had the spark plugs replaced because #2 cylinder was misfiring. Found out that the spark plug was loose in it's housing and was broken. Could this be the issue for causing the coil to have problems??

Not sure what to do.

Help!

Last edited:
Assuming this is reproducible and your observations are correct, it sounds more like an electrical problem -alternator. But then you say previoulsy it was already misfiring in cylinder #2 before.

Google/youtube on how to do a compression test and check your coils first since these two are sorta free with some DIY effort. Next, I'd look into the alternator.

Test the coil packs.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=158443&d=1257192910

Hey everyone!

Finally found out the problem to my engine gremlin issue. So I decided to check on the ignition coils and the spark plugs. Coils looked good. Did some tests with no problems. Check the sparks and found #2 spark was alittle dirty. So after checking all the other coils and sparks. I decided to go to lordco and buy 1 replacement spark plug. As I was driving to the store I noticed that the car was running smooth...So got to Lordco and bought a spark plug. On my way home I decided to try putting all the accessories on (A/C defrost,heater,lights) Guess what....no hesitation. No engine stumbling. Got home and checked everything and found that there must have been a loose connection to one of the leads to one of the coils. Causing it not to fire properly. Now she is running better than ever!

My brother-in-law told me that electrical is one of the hardest things to diagnostic. I can totally believe it!

Thanks everyone for putting up with my rants!

Back