Extremely Unusual Problem with my P5

zackmac

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey all, this one just baffles me... can't figure out what the hell it seems to be. Confirmed last night it wasn't a fluke, it has happened a few times before to me as well...

I was driving home last night and nobody was on the highway, so I downshifted to 3rd to really get on it (have turbo now so wanted to test it, but it happened before the turbo as well)

When I get above 5000 ish rpms maybe even at 6000, all electronics shut off. It's so weird. And extremely dangerous if at night, too. Luckily I am ok...

What happens is I reach a certain point in the powerband and my lights shut off, dash board lights killed, radio killed, heat killed.... everything electronic just shuts off. motor stays on and I can keep driving. it seems almost like a surge.
I immediately flipped my hibeams on (i have HIDs so I only use low beams) and a few seconds later the electronics came back, and i went back to my low beams.

This scared me a lot last night, never had this happen at night before. Maybe it happens during the day but I just don't notice.

I've never heard of anything like this so I'll leave it up to you guys to help me figure it out. if you have any other questions or need new information i'l gladly supply it. thanks

The only thing that comes to mind past 5000 rpm is that the VICS solenoid engages. I know these fail a lot and have had to replace them on at least 3 proteges. Try unplugging it and test it again

Strange. I am not aware of any resettable fuses. Unless like the post before mentioned, a solenoid is tripping and shorting everything out while engaged.

~50 miles after installing the turbo i had P2006 pop up, which has to do with VICS (maybe its VTCS), but through research i thought it was a problem with my wastegate actuator

set_preload.jpg

IMG_5333.jpg

basically i need to adjust (1st picture) so that the actuator arm is shorter in length, and at resting position the flap sits all the way closed like in the second picture

i need to adjust that anyways for proper boost but that makes a lot of sense

i will replace the solenoid though, a local buddy of mine with a p5 happened to have an extra laying around and gave it to me

reference thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123801695-Check-engine-code-p2006

Last edited:
I keep running through regular low beams. I tested it for fun. It's any time I go into aggressive acceleration and approach the ~6000 rpm mark, the "surge" occurs. It completely blows out my low beams, too.

Still baffled on this.

Have your alternator tested. If it's surging like that the protgs alternator is either internally regulated or regulated by ecu can't remember which. Also check all grounds. Seems more like a wiring issue

At the very least just be easy on it at night so that you can see, even though it is hard to resist with the cold temps of night time

Back