Brake Booster Replacement

Bebotech

:
2002 MP5
Like the title says I am planning to replace the brake booster since there is no pressure on the brake pedal. It just goes all the way down and it is not until it almost touches the bottom that the brakes apply. I am open for any suggestions you guys may have. Ok, the main questions is, is there a difference between a booster coming off a non ABS car and one from a car with ABS?
Also, any suggestions on how to take on replacing the booster.

I'd try bleeding your brakes before you go ahead and play with the brake booster.
Unless you've already done all this stuff and know it's the brake booster. I ran into a problem like this not too long ago. Thought it was my brake master cylinder because I had the same pedal problem as you.
Through research, I came to conclude that the master cylinder or improper bleeding of the brakes cause the pedal to sag to the floor without applying brakes, and if it is a faulty brake booster then the pedal will not easily be pressed down... I could be completely wrong about the brake booster part. I did inquire about it, though, and I would recommend getting the same one you originally had (ie; ABS for an ABS car, non ABS for non ABS)
On a dual side note, there is a check valve in the brake booster line. I just installed a vacuum block in this line, but you might also want to check and confirm the valve is good, and that there are no leaks anywhere. Are you losing brake fluid? Did this problem come out of nowhere or did it happen after you messed around with something (brake pads, pretty much anything)...
Sorry I'm not more factual or decisive, but thought that maybe my background knowledge may help you out a bit! Good Luck!

Master cylinder.

Quite easy to replace.

Follow directions to bench bleed (you can do it on the car too) prior to hooking up the brake lines.

I agree with those above. It's a hydraulic issue, not the booster. Start with bleeding the brakes. Look for any leaks. Did you recently do some work to the brakes?

If you want to know what a broken booster feels like, step on the brake pedal of a properly function brake system a few times without turning the engine on. The pedal will be very hard, not soft.

Back