Overheating problem

Marshall503

:
protege5
My 2002 decided to overheat on me so I replaced the thermostat and then the battery died so there was another problem thankfully the alternator is still working fine.

I was driving on the freeway yesterday and my car started to overheat again. Does anyone have any other ideas what it could be? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined but can't afford to take it to the shop right now so any help is appreciate.

Could be any of these 3 things:

1. Busted water pump; water/coolant stopped circulating through the engine/radiator

2. Hole in radiator (or hose) that leaks the water/coolant out

3. Busted radiator fan (unlikely if you still overheat while cruising)

Most likely the water pump. If you can look under the car around the passenger side of the motor and see if there is coolant or any liquid all over the outside of the engine. There is a weep hole that leaks coolant when the water pump has failed, and that is exactly what it sounds like.

Did the battery warning light come on? The water pump is driven by the same belt as the alternator, so if that belt fails first the warning light comes on, then it overheats. Usually there is enough charge in the battery to run the car long enough to really cook things if the car is not shut down.

That is a pretty rare scenario though. You are more likely seeing a coolant leak or a failing thermostat. (Any odd gurgling noises? Leaks often result in air getting into the cabin heating system under the dash, where they can sound like the car has indigestion.) If it had overheated when you were moving slowly I would have suspected the fan, but since you were on the highway, presumably at speed, there should have been enough cooling with just the air forced through the radiator by the car's motion.

There isn't any leaks that I have seen. It isn't smoking. I topped off the radiator when I replaced the thermostat and the fan still works.

dead battery + overheating = bad belt or loose belt.

Check your alternator belt. If loose ajust the alt (located on the back of the engine) to take up the slack.

If not loose then check the alternator for end play or spinning resistance. If either found replace alt and belt.

Back