Looking to redo my exhaust

stivine6

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys,

I'm going to redo my whole exhaust system probably mid next year. It's probably going to be all stainless steel custom piping with a highflow cat and as resonator to the muffler. I have a OBX 4-1 header sitting around as well that I want to pair up. Piping size I was think 2.25" all the way through.. I'm looking for slight power increase up high and just make it more fun overall. Do you guys think it would be too loud?

Do any of you guys have this set up and video as well?

Depends on the muffler. Racing beat is about that size on MP3 and was too quiet imo.

Does 2.25" piping have anything to do with the sound as well? I have a HKS hi-flow muffler on at the moment, was thinking of connecting everything to that or get something else. Has to have a deep growl though

Does 2.25" piping have anything to do with the sound as well? I have a HKS hi-flow muffler on at the moment, was thinking of connecting everything to that or get something else. Has to have a deep growl though

Not really. It will help bump up back preassure which you want for low end power

Have you ever heard a straight piped car? They're usually 3". Sound will vary from car to car, but as far as 2.25 with cats and muffles to 3" straight pipe, you will notice a sound difference.

I used to have the OBX 4-1 header (now I use the oem msp manifold because of turbo), but still run/ran it with a SLS hi-flow catted midpipe and a racing beat catback. The sound was perfect for me. Much better than an ebay catback. Racing beat produces a low tone and a deep "growl" but it isn't ricey or raspy. Look up on youtube they pretty much have videos of all the main exhausts manufacturers on proteges. I liked the racing beat catback because it didn't drone on the highway, wasn't obnoxiously loud, and when you wanted to hear it rumble it was when you were stepping on it...

If you want to go with straight loudness, lowness, and that ricey rasp, some popular routes are HKS and perrin if you can find one.

For the midpipe honestly I'd have a shop make one custom with a little bit of flex pipe, otherwise you'll pretty much have to choose from a SLS straight pipe or SLS catted (which will pass emissions in CT, at least, even with the obx header that deletes the precat)

Back