water in jack storage area

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all...
Woke up to a flat tire this morning. Went to get the jack and discovered about an inch or two of water in the area.

Anyone experience this and have a suggestion how to find the way it's getting in?

Thanks
Dave

check your rear light assembly and wheel well liner i had a small leak from the rear light assembly, bad thing is if thats the case with yours you have to seal it upo and reseal every time you change a bulb in the assembly, i used clear silicone around the assembly and it has worked for me

check your rear light assembly and wheel well liner i had a small leak from the rear light assembly, bad thing is if thats the case with yours you have to seal it upo and reseal every time you change a bulb in the assembly, i used clear silicone around the assembly and it has worked for me

So you just went around the light assembly with silicone on the outside?

In assuming I'll have to take the wheel of to see the liner. What would you use to seal that if there is a leak.. Same stuff?

What about a ring of gray rtv around all the holes where the light bolts on and where bulbs come thru and let it dry where it would be like a pliable gasket enhancer thing where you wouldn't have to reseal it every time the light was removed?

What about a ring of gray rtv around all the holes where the light bolts on and where bulbs come thru and let it dry where it would be like a pliable gasket enhancer thing where you wouldn't have to reseal it every time the light was removed?

yes, but those studs and holes are a pain to access and seal up and how many times are we going to remove the light? maybe once every few years if even that those bulbs dont go out fast. it was easier and more time effective to run a ring of clear rtv around the light assembly plus i did that to ensure no water could seep past it just in case. and i do believe it leaks around the assembly down into the jack well and not past the bolts or wiring as my wiring was completely dry and none of the nuts or studs were rusted or corroded which means they were staying dry, only thing with my fix is the clear silicone gets dirty and looks all brown now, but i hardly ever open the hatch and as long as it doesnt leak and looks good with the hatch closed its ok by me. maybe black silicone would make it look better but i am not sure if black would keep water out well as its oil resistant acid rain might eat it up. i may cover it with black next time to make it look better.

Last edited:
Might check the body seals where they have that putty stuff painted over down farther. Sometimes that cracks and the water gets in there....if the issue persists. IIRC there is a rubber plug down there too. Might check to make sure it is still in place but if it wasn't the water probably wouldn't pool.

I was all lazy and drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the puddles then hosed the area down with undercoating.

I call it fixed.

I was all lazy and drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the puddles then hosed the area down with undercoating.

I call it fixed.
that sounds like a good idea next time i change the bulbs instead of resealing the lights i may just do that where exactly did you drill the hole? and did you coat said hole with undercoating?

... where exactly did you drill the hole? and did you coat said hole with undercoating?

The deepest part of the puddle is kind of towards the upper left corner of the jack storage area when you're looking in.

Just empty the puddle till you've only got about a tablespoon left and drill in the middle of what's there.

The other side had rusted right through till there was a quarter sized hole so I patched it then drilled a hole in it.

I coated the inside of both sides with all kinds of undercoating. I used an oily type not a sealant.

I pulled up the carpet and removed some of the molding and sprayed the entire trunk area.
What a rusty freaking mess.

Back