Introducing the New Mazda CX-3

^This.

The Skyactiv-Drive automatics are excellent, and far from slushboxes. They even have an automated, multi-plate clutch that works in unison with the torque converter and executes perfectly rev-matched downshifts. In fact, the converter is locked something like 80% of the time and the clutch does all the rest. So, really, all you're missing is working the clutch pedal (which in the new cars has ZERO feeling). If I would have had the money, I would have sprung for a brand new 3 with the automatic. It does everything a manual can do, except that it's faster, smoother, and perfect every time.

And you can put it in D for all the boring stuff. Win-win.

Last edited:
Nice car. For an SUV auto is fine. If you want a Manual, get a 2 or 3. The design is pretty cool. Although I suspect the cargo capacity willbe dwarfed by HR-v.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^This.

The Skyactiv-Drive automatics are excellent, and far from slushboxes. They even have an automated, multi-plate clutch that works in unison with the torque converter and executes perfectly rev-matched downshifts. In fact, the converter is locked something like 80% of the time and the clutch does all the rest. So, really, all you're missing is working the clutch pedal (which in the new cars has ZERO feeling). If I would have had the money, I would have sprung for a brand new 3 with the automatic. It does everything a manual can do, except that it's faster, smoother, and perfect every time.

And you can put it in D for all the boring stuff. Win-win.

I agree 100%. When I got my 3 I was a little bummed out they did not offer the manual with the higher trim levels but now that I have the auto I can't be happier. The only times I miss the manual are some fringe cases and even then the manu-matic is pretty good.

Well, no need to worry about a manual option anyway:

http://autoweek.com/article/los-angeles-auto-show/all-new-2016-mazda-cx-3-debuts-la-auto-show

From the Article:
The CX-3 will make use of Mazda's Skyactiv-G 2.0-liter gas engine in U.S. guise, with power channeled to the front wheels or to all four wheels via a six-speed automatic transmission. A manual transmission will not be on the menu -

Other markets will see the availability of a manual transmission as well as a 1.5-liter Skyactiv-D diesel engine, but those items will definitely not be in the North American menu once the car arrives in dealerships.

And as for my earlier manual comments: I now own a Cx-9 with the 6 speed Aisin transmission, so I gave up my manual for the reality of the market. The manual mode is a good time, the automatic is fine all the time. The constant gear indicator in the instrument cluster is great! It's my first drive-by-wire car, so that's taking some getting used to. Practically, automatics are the way to go and I'm loving it in traffic :) But more control/feel with the car? Manual for sure. Anyway, I felt fine trading in the manual because my Kawasaki lets me shift gears all day and is all the speed I need (and faster than most cars anyway).

(drinks)

I dont understand the purpose of the cx3 when there is a cx5. I've been trying to wrap my head around it but it just seems like another version of the cx5, only a tad smaller. I feel like Mazda's cx3/cx5 was leaning towards a similar route like Mitsubishi's Outlander/Outlander sport platform but the sport is significantly smaller in size and has a refreshed look compared to the outlander while the cx3 is almost like a clone of the cx5. Maybe if someone can clarify the purpose and reasoning behind the cx3 that would help.

An SUV driver would probably wonder why anyone would want a Subaru AWD wagon, and a Ford F150 driver would probably wonder why anyone would want an SUV.

It's all relative and there are a lot or car and small-car drivers who want something like an SUV without getting an SUV. This segment of high clearance, AWD, high[er] mpg smaller cars is about to explode. The Cx-3 joins new vehicles from Honda (HRV) and Fiat (500L) amongst others all chasing buyers.

I'm totally biased but I think the CX-3 looks the best. Presentation means a lot the lower you go on the price scale because you know other things won't be as high quality feel as the same company's $40k vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's gonna be hard to beat the HR-V's interior room and flexibility (Magic Seat system adopted from the Fit) if that's important to you. I like the CX-3's overall package. On paper, it might be a tough choice between the two if I were in a market in the coming year. I would definitely need a test drive of both to determine. Great time for buyers of new vehicles - the options are stout :)

A real beauty.
Has a BMW X1 X3 thing going on. Had an X3 before my CX5 and I still prefer it to the German. Those X1s are just so bland. This cx3 blows it out of the water.

I really like the way it looks and I think it's reason for existing is simply, the competition is there and Mazda has a great package to offer people. If they can make a giant CX-9 drive small, then I would bet this thing is a blast. Everyone loves their CX-5's, so it seems natural to have a small medium and large (not in the American sense, but in a practical sense Mazda will have the sizes covered).

To offer an explanation of how it's different to @redline3104r, it's based on the Mazda 2, so it should feel pretty small compared to the CX-5?
From Autoweek:
The CX-3 will be only marginally larger than the Mazda 2 on the outside, with a 168.3-inch overall length, and a 61-inch height -- just 8.5 inches longer than its small hatch sibling -- though it will share the Mazda 2's 101.2 inch wheelbase.

CX-5 DIMENSIONS from C&D:
Wheelbase: 106.3 in
Length: 178.7 in
Width: 72.4 in
Height: 65.7 in
Curb weight: 3438 lb

About a foot shorter overall, 5" shorter wheelbase, 5" shorter height. I'll admit, doesn't seem like much, but might be more substantial in person?

I dont understand the purpose of the cx3 when there is a cx5. I've been trying to wrap my head around it but it just seems like another version of the cx5, only a tad smaller. I feel like Mazda's cx3/cx5 was leaning towards a similar route like Mitsubishi's Outlander/Outlander sport platform but the sport is significantly smaller in size and has a refreshed look compared to the outlander while the cx3 is almost like a clone of the cx5. Maybe if someone can clarify the purpose and reasoning behind the cx3 that would help.

To me the CX-5 is great as a family car if you have kids but if you don’t have kids it might feel too big. I wouldn’t be surprised that you couldn’t fit one of those unnecessarily massive car seats that they sell today in the back seat of the CX-3. The CX-3 is the perfect size for those that don’t have kids and like to go places where there are no paved roads and where snow can be an issue during the winter. The Mazda 3 is a great car but is limited on where you can drive it as I found out with my old Mazda 3 in the middle of nowhere in Maine.

To me the CX-5 is great as a family car if you have kids but if you don’t have kids it might feel too big. I wouldn’t be surprised that you couldn’t fit one of those unnecessarily massive car seats that they sell today in the back seat of the CX-3. The CX-3 is the perfect size for those that don’t have kids and like to go places where there are no paved roads and where snow can be an issue during the winter. The Mazda 3 is a great car but is limited on where you can drive it as I found out with my old Mazda 3 in the middle of nowhere in Maine.
I don't have kids and feel like the cx5 is perfect for me, its small yet versatile and a little bigger then a mazda3. The cx3 and 5 are both similar in size and function

You guys are funny. I have two kids, both still in child seats. The whole family fits just fine in my mazda2. In fact, we take it on 11 hour road trips from north georgia to south florida to see my parents and sisters. Ground clearance is horrible for rutted un-paved roads but its a blast to throw around on relatively smooth dirt and gravel. If I need ground clearance I take the frontier.

I think the cx-3 will be fantastic, but I really don't understand why they won't offer the manual. That would be a deal-breaker for me. Fortuantely, I still love my 2 and have no desire to daily drive anything else (though that will change when the kids can take the bus).

I like the styling but I think they need to come with more power. The Renegade and New Fiat will be looking at 180 hp and the Juke more as well.....

Exterior looks good, interior is ok except for the dash. That long strip of nothing from the middle across to the passenger side is ugly. Then there's the fact it'll probably only be automatic, which I could get over, but the torsion beam rear suspension I cannot. It's 2015, I don't want to see that crap anymore. It'll probably end up coming with drum brakes on the rear as well :roll:

I like the styling but I think they need to come with more power. The Renegade and New Fiat will be looking at 180 hp and the Juke more as well.....
Agree, at least as an option. They need to bring in more turbo motors. The turbo awd Juke gets to 60 as quick as my MS3, I expect no less from Mazda.

Last edited:
They have CX3 for Japan as well. The Japan wesbite is well updated with the information and pictures, hard to say what all will translate to US markets. I wish they made the AWD with a little more power as an option for the 6 as well.

Put in the 2.5 186hp 4 and give it a manual transmission and give me the line to sign on. As a car company that's slogan is zoom-zoom I can't understand why they insist on limiting the driving experience with an automatic. The new autos may be pretty good and even faster then the manuals but there is something exilerating about shifting through the gears as you hit the on ramp.

Agreed, I don't care about fuel economy, or track times; I just want driving pleasure, and 99% of the time that involves a 3rd pedal.

For those of you who would do this to the CX3. Which I totally would. Looks very good to me.

2015TokyoAutosalonKnightSportsMazdaCX3Front.jpg

2015TokyoAutosalonKnightSportsMazdaCX3Front2.jpg

2015TokyoAutosalonKnightSportsMazdaCX3Rear.jpg

2015TokyoAutosalonKnightSportsMazdaCX3Rear2.jpg

2015TokyoAutosalonKnightSportsMazdaCX3Seats.jpg

If this car came with the Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter I-4 from my 3 and the same automatic with sport mode and all, I'd take it in a heartbeat and trade my 3 in especially with all-wheel-drive available. The little 2.0-liter is adequate at best, the bigger 2.5-liter could easily make this car the have your cake and eat it too car in Mazda's lineup especially with AWD and the Skyactiv-Drive 6AT. For you folks dismissing Mazda's automatic, drive it first. In its segment its hands down one of the if not best units. You have so much control of the car its not even funny.

Latest posts

Back