Difficult starting issue (intermittent) with my 2012 CX-9- anyone else???

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
Twice in as many weeks my 2012 CX-9 has been very difficult to start. I didn't think anything of it until it happened a second time. I'm about 2,700 miles away from my B2B warranty expiration, so want to have the problem taken care of if it is something covered.

The first time it happened, the car had been sitting overnight in my heated garage. I turned the starter knob (keyless ignition) as usual and released it after about five seconds when the engine hadn't started. I tried again and released it after about ten seconds, not wanting to stress or damage the starter motor. Finally, I turned it and held it until it started which took about 15 seconds. The car ran fine and started several more times that day.

Everything was fine for the next nine days, then it happened again. This time, the car had driven all day and I parked it in the driveway for a few hours. When I tried to start it after sitting for a few hours, the same thing happened as the first time.

It has been almost three weeks since the last time that it happened and it hasn't occurred again. Any ideas on what might have caused it? Anything I should have checked just to be safe? Does the CX-9 have a fuel filter? Or could the fuel pump possibly be the problem?

BTW, the starter never sounded like it was 'dragging' even after several seconds, but I checked the battery with a voltmeter just to make certain- the battery is fine.

I've heard of this with a few other 2012 owners on here.... seems to be an anomoly, and I doubt the dealer is going to be able to find anything for you.
If it were a bad coil, your engine would still start, but would run rough and cel would come on. Not the battery. Not a spark plug since it would still start. Not a spark plug wire since again, would still start. This brings me to the conclusion that likely its the mass air flow sensor, something in the fuse box, or something in the engine wiring harness, if I were a betting man.

I have had the same experience as the OP. This is a bit frustrating, but seems only to happen when the temperatures have dropped below 10deg F. Has anyone else experienced this and determined a resolution?

I have had the same experience as the OP. This is a bit frustrating, but seems only to happen when the temperatures have dropped below 10deg F. Has anyone else experienced this and determined a resolution?

I'm the OP and it hasn't happened again since I posted this back on 11-18-14. It has been very cold here lately (down in the low teens for the last week) but my garage doesn't get below 50 degrees, so the car isn't that cold when I start it. I'm hoping that it was just an intermittent issue that has worked itself out! =) But my 36k warranty just expired and, if it isn't an issue covered by the Powertrain Warranty, and it reappears, I will be p!ssed!

Back