2013 Mazda 3 automatic tranny hesitation

steve333

2013 Mazda 3 iSport Automatic SkyActive
I brought my car in yesterday for the intermittent hesitation when pulling away from a stop or after a slow turn or after slowing down and needing to speed up on the freeway. It also sometimes is slow to shift from reverse to drive and doesn't slow down at times when I take my foot off the gas pedal.
It didn't act up during their test drive (of course) and they wanted me to ride with the mechanic. It still didn't do it for him but while we were talking he said he had someone with this issue and they replaced the valve body. He said he would try to get this done.
1/2 hour later Mazda refused to authorize the service. He said they were really tough to deal with and always tried to get out of warranty repairs.
He said they told him to re-set the tranny software and see what happens.
If it happens again (and it will) I will contact Mazda directly because one of these days my car will be plowed into by the car behind me.
GM has social media at least which reaches out on forums like this to get help direct from corporate, I guess Mazda thinks their s*** don't stink and they don't want to bother with good customer service.
I'll see where it goes from here but not very happy right now

I know with my 89 MX6 GT, the dealerships had an SST (Special Service Tool) that allowed the mechanic to monitor the transmission while he or someone else was driving. You can't really fault Mazda when the dealership mechanic never (personally) experienced the problem. Some car owners are not as honest as you. How about leaving them the car for a few days? I know that's not possible for some people, but it may be the only way for the mechanic to back up your claim. I'm relatively certain that if he experiences the issue, Mazda will take care of it.

Mazda knows about the issue and when a problem is intermittent they should take your word for it, IMO. It's not like I'm having a good time bringing my car in.
GM was quicker to give approval to dealers to fix something, Mazda is known for being a pain in the butt.
I would only leave it there if I could get a rental and that gets expensive here.

I guess you could tell them your trans needs to be replaced...
Really, if it's an inexpensive part we're talking about, then yes, they should, but only if the mechanic is relatively certain that replacing the part would solve the problem. I'm wondering why no history code is logged.

He said he was sure that the problem was the transmission valve body but Mazda will only cover it if a code is thrown while they have their laptop attached and driving.
I can't believe the programming he did will fix the problem but today so far it didn't act up. Let's see if it continues

If it makes you feel any better......My 89 MX6 GT's auto transmission had 170,000 miles on it when I sold it and none of the valve bodies had ever failed.

I have an 06 mazda 3 and have had 4 trannys. So skyactiv's aren't the only ones with tranny issues. Dealer replaced 2 I paid for 1. These cars have serious tranny issues. The codes come and go. I had my car jump in traffic before it stopped and the gear broke. Mind you I have an interchanging A/M transmission and I always have it in auto. The programming won't change anything. They told me that before. Have them replace the input/output sensors and see if that changes anything.

Mine is still acting up, a few times i stepped on the gas and the rpms increased but the car didn't move for a few seconds.
I emailed Mazda about it 10 days ago and still haven't received a reply.
This may be both my first and last Mazda

Acceleration Hesitation

Hello,

I have been having the same issue. I have had my car into service three times without prevail. I currently have my car scheduled to go in on Monday to be looked atagain.Anyone have any ideas? I feel totally unsafe in my car its like a death trap, and I am paying for it monthly. I have a 5year old little girl who sits on the side that will be t- boned on a left turn if they cant find the problem. Then I am stuck with a horrible death trap. I am fearful of my daughters and my lives.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have been having the same issue. I have had my car into service three times without prevail. I currently have my car scheduled to go in on Monday to be looked atagain.Anyone have any ideas? I feel totally unsafe in my car its like a death trap, and I am paying for it monthly. I have a 5year old little girl who sits on the side that will be t- boned on a left turn if they cant find the problem. Then I am stuck with a horrible death trap. I am fearful of my daughters and my lives.

I have had them look at the car and even left it there for a day and they still claim they find nothing wrong.
Mazda has ZERO customer service, and I'm talking about the company. The dealer said they are a pain in the ass to deal with and never OK repairs.
There are tons of choices out there and I see no reason to buy another Mazda.

Back