smoking on start up problem

:
protege5
So i have a 02 protege5 that smokes on start up but goes away after 10 second then just regular steam from the exhaust comes out. this only happen when it sits over night in the rain. i don't know what is causing this. so does anybody have any idea what could cause this?

Using the search in the forum or google will give you more detailed answers and examples quicker.

In any case, what colour is the smoke that you are seeing out of the exhaust?

Usually cars smoke a little when cold especially in cold weather, this is normal.

The engine is getting worn and the valve seals are shrinking - esp. when cold.

When it gets bad enough you will have to decide if the car is worth a rebuild or not...

Just have to change the seals, noy rebuild whole thing. I did this on a v6 buy the 4 cylinder will be so much easier to do in car...there really should be a seal on the bottom too.. not sure why not.

Thanks for the info. Oh, it doesn't smoke all the time on a cold start. Only when the car sits for a while with no use

My msp does that. Doesn't seem to go away do I guess driving it everyday saved the seals and leaving it for s couple.months pushed them over.
Not dropping a valve not a big deal. Take cams out, rotate motor tdc for cyliner your doing and do work. Use the compressed air method for putting retainers back in but I've heard it being done with roper and tdc. Depends how your compressing the springs and seating retainers.

No argument its a wh0re. But if I'm honest, valve spring compressor and vasaline isn't any less a wh0re lol.

Funny. Yet another thread on a Protege that burns oil. Yet some want to claim it's not a common issue. Like it's just poor maintenance, and there's nothing wrong with this engine.

Some claim that the issue is caused by the valve seals and others say it is the piston rings. I would hate to do either of these miserable jobs with the chance that it wouldn't fix the problem. Especially on a car designed to be as disposable as this one. So if you're intent of fixing the problem you should be prepared to do both.

Last edited:
No argument the engine has problems. Come over to.msp and you will hear all of them heh. It is however easy to work on, cheap to replace.

Anything with milage is bound to smoke though.

I don't know that I'd call this car easy or cheap to work on. Maybe compared to a Benz or a BMW. Not everything with mileage smokes. Mine started below 120,000 miles and some say it started brand new.

Last edited:
Everything is easy to access, inexpensive to replace and doesn't require special tools. Only cost me $200 to change timing belt water pump ect and was able to do it with a flashlight on a Wednesday night heh.

I don't know that I'd call this car easy or cheap to work on. Maybe compared to a Benz or a BMW. Not everything with mileage smokes. Mine started below 120,000 miles and some say it started brand new.

I would say these cars are a lot easier to work on than German makes.

I have worked on all kinds of cars and I would only put Honda before Mazda in terms of parts availability and price, maintenance requirements and least difficult to work on. Mazdas are great cars, now that P5s are 11 years old and have a lot of miles they have their issues but compared to other cars built in the same era there is a reason I've daily driven a Protege for 5 years now.

It's not just a protege thing. My mazda 3 with 50k miles burns a quart every 1500 miles and with its new found oil leak its went through a quart in 900 miles

323 burned about a quart every 1500-2000 miles

Prelude burns a quart every 2000

Back