clunk from passenger rear suspension

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
I have a clunk every now and then only on low speed bumps such as backing out of the driveway and onto street and i and several mechanics have looked and dont see anything wrong. Struts and mounts were done 8000 miles ago and bushing and links all look good and wheel bearings seem fine this clunk was happening before i replaced struts and mount all the way around in fact it happened when my dad had the car before me does not affect driving or handling holds alignment just fine and no uneven tire wear of any kind no noise when bumps or pot holes are hit on roads just on low speed bumps like speed bumps. Ive looked at everything i can think of back there with no luck Any ideas?

Last edited:
anyone? i have a feeling its the jack moving around anyone have any other ideas?

Well the jack should be secured to the quarter panel. Have you checked the spare tire area?

Check strut mount and sway bar link/ bushing. I have same thing just haven't had chance to check it out.

I was thinking strut mount as well but he says he just replaced them not long ago. But if you haven't already might be worthwhile to make sure everything is tight?

yeah, everything is tight. the noise was there before the struts were done and has been after. my spare hold down is missing the nut and the tire is loose in the compartment but that would lead me to think the noise would happen on both sides, where as it only happens occasionally and only on the passenger side, i looked at the jack its secure but the handle in the same compartment was not i moved it to the back seat if the noise clears i know that was it. i have had the suspension looked at by 2 shops and 3 mechanics as well as myself under the car and nothing seems bad the bushings look good and the links look good. and nothing appears to be rubbing anything else. as i states in the original post it drives just fine and handles just fine and holds alignment with absolutely no uneven or bad tire wear on any tire. im anal about any car i own being in peak running condition and do all work and maintenece to ensure they are so i want to get this fixed before it makes more work to do or breaks something (if it is something that could cause that)

I think your culprit may be the spare. The nut on mine is missing as well and I was hearing an odd sound intermittently from the back. Took some foam and broke it into chunks and wedged it between the spare and sides of the well and no more noise. Worth a shot and cheap.

if the sway bar end links have not been replaced, replace them. the links car "Look" good, but actually be worn and noisy.

End links are very common on these cars along with sway bar bushings.

A 10 minute search and you would have figured this out

I'm having the same noise in my Protg ES. I am looking to replace the links and bushings, any suggestion as to the best ones to buy? I'm looking on Ebay and there is MOOG, Mevotch, Beck Arnley and Roca, as I can't afford to go the AWR Racing route for the links right now. I will get the bushings there though. Does it matter, are they all basically the same? One site says the MOOG is stock on the Protg. Are any of them up-grades? Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm also experiencing a slight drift in the rear when I go around curves, could this be the reason for that as well?

Last edited:
End links are very common on these cars along with sway bar bushings.

A 10 minute search and you would have figured this out

mine appear to be good as i said i inspected all the suspension components when i did the struts. its funny now i have noticed its gone away some (i repositioned the spare.) but still creaks as every 12 year old car i have ever had does. i also saw underneath the swaybar had slipped out of the bracket and i think that was the main culprit.

Back