Installing a volt meter. Where to attach wires inside car?

buliwyf

:
2002 Mazda Protege5, 2014 Mazda3 sedan
I'm trying to install a small volt meter to the dashboard of the car (I use a phone mount/charger in my cig lighter). I was wondering where's the easiest 12V + and - wires inside the car to access?

I suppose also the cigarette lighter wires?

OR,...

You could get one of these ($30) and use an actual smart phone with the Torque App. in the mount.

,... Then you'll get a voltage reading as well as about 70 other useful data streams of info from every sensor on our car,...

elm327_zpsa1937a00.jpg

They should all work (theoretically,... they are all made in China) ,... just stick to a Canadian shipper to avoid the Duty Police.

I'm trying to install a small volt meter to the dashboard of the car (I use a phone mount/charger in my cig lighter). I was wondering where's the easiest 12V + and - wires inside the car to access?

I suppose also the cigarette lighter wires?

The negative/gruond can be connected to a solid metal location on the car's body.
The positive can be connected to the cigarette lighter plug's positive (if this turns off when the ignition is off).

I got my OBD2 yesterday and was able to set it up properly with my smartphone.

To my disappointment, my Protege5 doesn't have a Voltage sensor for the OBD2! Is this normal?

I tried the OBD2 in my Mazda 3 and it sees a voltage sensor

EDIT:
It wasn't showing in Torque Free. I since bought Torque Pro and there's a Voltage sensor now (voltage coming from the OBD port).

Last edited:
Back