Oil Return Line help

mspk2

:
03.5 MSP
Im doing a front mount intercooler install and upon crawling under the car, Ive noticed that the oil return line may have a leak. ive dealt with this before when it was the hose that mazda no longer offers, or could not get but now im to the point where i want to be done with this issue all together... Anyone have an idea if theres a kit someone has made or what the proper an fittings are. Garretts website is not being very helpful and id like to have this issue wrapped up by the time i finish installing the intercooler. thanks in advance

Where is it leaking from? If it looks like it's leaking directly from the turbo, then it could be as simple as replacing the o-ring gasket that seals the return line to the turbo. You can get one from the dealer for a couple bucks.

its def a possibility that its coming from the fitting on the turbo. it isnt leaving spots in my garage so i think its only leaking once everythings pressurized while im driving. i have to add about half a quart once a month or so. there was a bunch of goop on both fittings (oil drain line and coolant return line) which i have removed. ive owned the car for a bout 2 years now and im still finding a few little questionable repairs from the previous owner, he always took the car to cheap mechanic shops so this could be one of those repairs.

If you're finding "goop" in the coolant return line, that's most likely from oil mixing in with the coolant and that's probably where your lost oil is going. So I don't think its your drain line, it sounds like you have a bigger problem somewhere. You're getting oil into the coolant somehow, and the only places the two can meet are at the turbo or the engine.

Take off your intake and see if you have any oil in there as well (a little bit is ok) and check the turbine shaft for play. It can move a tiny amount but if it's wiggling all over the place your turbo is shot. Otherwise, you could have a blown head gasket and that's an even bigger problem. Either way, the fact that you see goop in the coolant line suggests that you have oil in it, and that's usually bad news. Do you see any similar looking goop in your coolant overflow canister?

Last edited:
no not that kind of goop. this is like they took a putty of some sort and pasted it next to the fitting to stop a leak. i may 2 gaskets going out, 1 on the oil return, 1 on the coolant return. no oil in the radiator and no coolant in the oil. shaft is rock steady in the center position. no movement what so ever, and the turbine shaft spins very nice, no gritty feeling and low friction.

Im doing a front mount intercooler install and upon crawling under the car, Ive noticed that the oil return line may have a leak. ive dealt with this before when it was the hose that mazda no longer offers, or could not get but now im to the point where i want to be done with this issue all together... Anyone have an idea if theres a kit someone has made or what the proper an fittings are. Garretts website is not being very helpful and id like to have this issue wrapped up by the time i finish installing the intercooler. thanks in advance

Have you tried to buy it straight from Callaway since Mazda doesn't have it? I have no idea if they stock anything of their own or purchase directly from Mazda to fulfill orders.

EDIT: Ignore that. I just looked and it's not even listed.

ya the local mazda shop found one in canada for me. $90 shipped for that little hose. i about fell off their chair when they told me that.

Back