Secondary air filter? '12 3 skyactiv

nasa779

:
'11 speed 3 soon to be '12 i touring unfortunately
Hi guys,

Just wondering, has anyone noticed that there is a second air filter in the top of the airbox on the skyactiv models? At 40k miles mine is now black, but it seems to be glued or thermally welded in place. Has anyone modded or cut this out before?

Have you checked your maintenance schedule to see if it needs to be replaced at some designated mileage? If it's not listed, check with the dealership. I find it hard to believe that any filter is considered a "lifetime" part.

Have you checked your maintenance schedule to see if it needs to be replaced at some designated mileage? If it's not listed, check with the dealership. I find it hard to believe that any filter is considered a "lifetime" part.

Its non-replaceable. The filter is literally sandwiched between a plastic frame and the top of the airbox itself and glued in place.

My guess, then, it is a gross particle filter. Is there access to clean it?

My guess, then, it is a gross particle filter. Is there access to clean it?

One side yes. The other side is facing the intake tract with the MAF inside of it. I guess I could attempt to clean it with just water or maybe a little dish soap. I dont know how well that will work because its like literally a flat sheet of paper

Strange, indeed. I'll have to take a look at my configuration. With only a bit over 3000 miles on the odometer, all I've done so far is check the oil and add air to the tires.

Back