Sputters After Fillup?

kevinmcc

:
2003 Mazda Protege
What would cause my 2003 Mazda Protege to sputter when I get done filling up my gas tank? It is fine after about 10 min of driving. Any ideas? No CEL.

I'm surprised there is no CEL because my guess would be a purge solenoid. I know some Mazda 3s have had them fail and the symptoms were similar to what you are experiencing.

Same things happening to my car. 2002 protege 5. Been like this for months now.. Keep me posted if you find out what it is, and I will do the same. Good luck.

I'm surprised there is no CEL because my guess would be a purge solenoid. I know some Mazda 3s have had them fail and the symptoms were similar to what you are experiencing.

Do you by chance have a diagram or a DIY to test it? Also is it serviceable or do I need to replace?

I've heard of other cars being overfilled and getting fuel in the vent line, going to an emissions/charcoal canister, and eventually getting sucking into the engine causing a rich condition. I am not familiar with the proteges but I'll bet their evaporative emission system is like most other vehicles. I was told about this possibility nearly 25 years ago and advised to stop pumping the first time the pump shuts off. So that's the way I've always done it. Are you guys that are having this problem continuing to pump and "round it up to the next dollar" after the pump shuts off the first time?

UPDATE: Car is now sputtering VERY badly at idle and stalls out if I do not give it any gas. Once the car is above 1,000ish RPM the problem clears, it is JUST idle... NO CEL's? I am stumped and frustrated...

Hey guys should I replace the Purge Valve or the Vent Solenoid? This issue is present everytime i fill up

Does this only occur when the tank is brimmed? if you fill the tank to you top of after the pump clicks off? if so it is bossible that you have saturated your charcoal canister. as the vehicle is filled the fuel vapours exit through the charcoal canister getting trapped in the canister and then air exits through the vent solenoid. Once the engine is running the purge solenoid will bring the extra fuel vapour that were trapped in the canister throught the intake for combustion. the purge solenoid is controlled by the PCM and should not allow vapours through unless the vehicle is at cruise. if the vehicle is sputtering or stalling out at idle it is possible that the purge solenoid is stuck open and allowing vapours through when it shouldn't causing the engine to run badly, and if the canister is saturated it could be liquid fuel being added.

I would first try not filling the car the the brim and taking the car for a cruise on the highway for about 20-30 minutes, especially if your Protege is being driven short trips of in the city for the majority of the time. if that doesn't solve the problem it is likely an issue with the purge solenoid.

Sorry for taking forever, been very busy.

It happens if I fill it half way, full, 5 bucks, 30 bucks. No matter what. Is there a way to check the purge solenoid? If i take it off it should not be able to blow threw right?

If you remove the purge solenoid you should not be able to blow through it. The PCM should duty cycle the solenoid open as you drive.

The same thing has been going on with my protege, I recently changed the plugs, wires and pcv valve. Still the same thing, sputters after I put gas in, $5, $10 or full up it doesn't matter.. It's been happening for months now and it's annoying. And I would like to figure it out. Plus I'm loosing about 50 plus mpg to a tank..

I started a forum just like this that I forgot about and this is what someone replied to it. Definitely sounds like an evaporative emission system problem, most other things i can think of wouldnt cause a rough idle only after filling up. I'd say you most likely have a soaked charcoal canister if you always put more gas in the tank after the pump stops. The charcoal canister is connected to the tank to absorb the vapors from the gas when it evaporates. If you overfill the tank, liquid gas can get into the canister and soak it which usually causes problems starting or rough idle. You can replace these pretty easily, its right under the rear in a black box on the spare tire well if im not mistaken. But if it idles rough every time you fill up regardless of how much it could be a stuck open purge valve. usually the vapors from the canister are purged during hwy driving, but if the valve is stuck open when you put gas in the tank the expanding vapors from filling up can push the liquid fuel in the canister into the intake causing it to idle rough for a bit. once you start driving the o2 sensors and fuel trims account for the rich condition and it will go away

I started a forum just like this that I forgot about and this is what someone replied to it. Definitely sounds like an evaporative emission system problem, most other things i can think of wouldnt cause a rough idle only after filling up. I'd say you most likely have a soaked charcoal canister if you always put more gas in the tank after the pump stops. The charcoal canister is connected to the tank to absorb the vapors from the gas when it evaporates. If you overfill the tank, liquid gas can get into the canister and soak it which usually causes problems starting or rough idle. You can replace these pretty easily, its right under the rear in a black box on the spare tire well if im not mistaken. But if it idles rough every time you fill up regardless of how much it could be a stuck open purge valve. usually the vapors from the canister are purged during hwy driving, but if the valve is stuck open when you put gas in the tank the expanding vapors from filling up can push the liquid fuel in the canister into the intake causing it to idle rough for a bit. once you start driving the o2 sensors and fuel trims account for the rich condition and it will go away

Is that the one under the hood by the Intake Tube? If so I disconnected it and tested it and it seemed to work fine, I couldn't blow through it when it was off the car? Or is it the one by the charcoal canister under the car?

Back