Anyone change fluid in transfer case on an AWD CX-5?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
This is probably a couple years out for me so likely around 25-30K miles. It appears one would want to drop the front plastic splash shields to make the job easier.

It appears front transfer case and rear diff are easy to service. I'll probably use Amsoil when that time comes.

I had mine done at 30k on my last cx-5. I didn't do it myself because I didn't want to be bothered with a pump to empty it.

This is probably a couple years out for me so likely around 25-30K miles. It appears one would want to drop the front plastic splash shields to make the job easier.

It appears front transfer case and rear diff are easy to service. I'll probably use Amsoil when that time comes.

has anybody done the CX-5 transfer case oil change themselves ? if so, is there a drain plug ?

any photos or instruction would be greatly appreciated it ! thanks in advance

Yeah I did my front transfer case and rear differential at ~30k. The oil was very metallic with tons of particles in it. I'll be changing it at 20k next time.

I changed mine recently with royal purple

I can't trust that stuff. I put some in my (okay, not some, it was a full drain/fill...) in my WS.6's diff when we did wheel-bearings. About 10k miles later, the pinion bearing spun in the housing and the diff failed. It failed while backing out of the drive way with the clutch 1/4 engaged or so. When we tore it down, the bearings were blue/purple from heat. Could it be misalignment caused by violent driving habits leading to excessive heat? Was it lube failure? I don't know, but we re-used the housing with new bearings, and used other lube, and it worked great for another 75k miles.

I thought Mazda specifies their MAZDA LONG LIFE HYPOID GEAR OIL SG1 for both front and rear differentials, or this is just a way for them to make more money,

SG1 isn't cheap but somewhat reasonable it's $23 a quart while Royal Purple sells for $20.99 a quart.

That Mazda recommendation came out with the '16s. I swapped mine out with Amsoil. Perhaps earlier years had it but it wasn't available for sale.

Yea, the old manual also specifies regular old 90w80 or w/e it is (standard gear oil). The rpm I out in was w75, but that's fine in my climate.

Back