Query RE:Dilution of oil with diesel causing low oil pressure warning due to DPF rege

karencorky

:
CX-5 2.2d sport skyactiv
I bought my CX-5 2.2 diesel auto new in March 2014. Last week a warning light flashed up on my dashboard stating that there was low oil pressure, which could cause engine damage and the oil level should be checked.

On checking the engine oil level using the dip stick, the level was above high and just below the 'X' mark. I took my car into be investigated yesterday and I was advised that the DPF regeneration of the oil filter had caused diesel fuel to dilute the engine oil and raise the oil level. It was down to Mazda goodwill gesture that they replaced the oil and oil filter. I have completed 10,000 miles with a week day commute up and down the A3 duel carraigeway for 22 miles. I was challenged on my driving pattern whether I did lots of short trips ( they assumed I was a stay at home mummy doing school drop off's) but this simply isn't the case with my daily commute.

Has this event occurred to anyone else?

I have received no reassurances that the event won't happen again in the future and I could be hit with the cost of a premature oil and oil filter change before my car service is due every 12,500 miles.

How are you supposed to know when your car decides to proceed with a regeneration cycle? How often does the DPF regeneration occur and what is the basis of the regen cycle?

Very disappointed to have problems with my new car already.

Thank you in advance for positive, sensible feedback.

This problem affected a lot of earlier cars but most later ones seem to be ok now. I would think that your journeys should be ok for dpf regen. If the sump has filled with diesel then it points to failed regens so i think the dealership should look into that. It could be that you were just unlucky in that everytime it was doing one you were just coming to the end of the journey. I usually keep the average mpg up on the dash and if for no reason the mpg starts to drop ,often accompanied by a hot cooking smell, then that is a regen started and if i am only driving slow i will run it a couple of gears below normal to try to keep a steady revs of 2200-2600. If you keep that up for 15 minutes thats usually enough to see it complete and then the av mpg starts to climb again. Sometimes i have to drive further than i intended just to clear the regen. If it wasn't for these minor clues there would be no symptoms at all of a regen as the car is very smooth. Perhaps you had better keep a check on the oil level and if it starts to creep up again then take it back to the dealership.

I would guess that your car would come with all the latest updates to prevent this problem, but it may be worth checking! There are 3 things, exhaust pressure sensor is the new model, latest software update to prevent regens happening too often and the latest dipstick that has the X at a higher level, I think the latest dip stick has the letter C on it, but I can't be sure. The pn is near the end of the stick.

I had the same issue and needed all 3 upgrades, after that, no problems at all, and my journey (my wifes journey) are always about 10 to 15 mins driving in mixed conditions, so cetainly not ideal.

I certainly would not change my driving style during a regen, if you had to, the car would be getting exchanged straight away and a letter sent to trade and standards etc. I don't mean to be rude but doing that sounds ludicrous.

To check dipstick 'c' (it has a speed bump in it :) )

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817637-Engine-Oil-Rise/page18

see post 265

The software must surely be up-to-date and dipstick c is easy to check, but who's to say the EPS hasn't failed?

I have near 22k on the car and the service is due at 24K. This yea i'll have done the milage rather than a year since last service, one last check of oil level tomorrow to see it through to 2 year / 25K service.

Last edited:
My 2015 2.2 diesel done 7500kms has thrown up the low oil pressure warning light.

My 2015 2.2 diesel done 7500kms has thrown up the low oil pressure warning light.

Sadly this is Mazda's debacle on the diesel version. There are TONS of complaints against the diesel SkyActiv engine. Mazda pulled the diesel engine from US production but sadly kept pushing them in other countries.

I love Mazda but they really dropped the ball on the diesel. They should have done more R&D before mass producing it.

Sadly this is Mazda's debacle on the diesel version. There are TONS of complaints against the diesel SkyActiv engine. Mazda pulled the diesel engine from US production but sadly kept pushing them in other countries.
I love Mazda but they really dropped the ball on the diesel. They should have done more R&D before mass producing it.
Mazda is still selling SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel worldwide other than US/NA market. If fact, Mazda has never sold any SkyActiv-D in this market, may be by the luck. Otherwise with all the problems on SA-Ds, MNAO may have to buy back these CX-5s like those happened on RX-8s although for different reason. The failure on production rotary engines is another ball dropped by Mazda and I believe Mazda is still recovering from that infamous reputation for poor quality!

This problem can be reduced to some extent by using at least "branded" diesel and preferably high grade which are heavily dosed with detergents to help keep the DPF clean.

Avoids supermarket diesel like the plague.

This problem can be reduced to some extent by using at least "branded" diesel and preferably high grade which are heavily dosed with detergents to help keep the DPF clean.

Avoids supermarket diesel like the plague.

No it can't.

The problem is the the diesel engine DESIGN, not in the oil or the diesel fuel. Mazda really screwed up and should have stopped production once the problem became widespread.

I think Mazda know as much about engines as any other global manufacturer and are quite capable of building Diesel engines. Your problem comes when European legislation is so tight that vehicle builders are obliged to filter the exhaust. What goes through the exhaust is determined by the diesel and the engine oil (if any can escape past the piston rings) so you need the best quality diesel and low ash oil. Of course, the style of driving has to be factored in. Short journeys where the engine rarely gets revved will not generate much pressure in the exhaust which will not purge the filter and result in failed regens.

My Skyactive diesel has done nearly 4000 miles and the oil has not moved off the top mark. It has never once had supermarket diesel in it.

I can assure you that all the tankers line up at the same terminal and the base diesel is the same. The additives go in at the time of filling and the reason supermarket fuel is 2 or 3 pence a litre cheaper has got nothing at all to do with volume sales or them being loyal to you. They are just as happy to screw you at the pump as they are for most of your weekly shop.

You can flatly refuse to accept this is the case or you can open your mind and save yourself a lot of grief - it makes no difference to me.

I think Mazda know as much about engines as any other global manufacturer and are quite capable of building Diesel engines. Your problem comes when European legislation is so tight that vehicle builders are obliged to filter the exhaust. What goes through the exhaust is determined by the diesel and the engine oil (if any can escape past the piston rings) so you need the best quality diesel and low ash oil. Of course, the style of driving has to be factored in. Short journeys where the engine rarely gets revved will not generate much pressure in the exhaust which will not purge the filter and result in failed regens.

My Skyactive diesel has done nearly 4000 miles and the oil has not moved off the top mark. It has never once had supermarket diesel in it.

I can assure you that all the tankers line up at the same terminal and the base diesel is the same. The additives go in at the time of filling and the reason supermarket fuel is 2 or 3 pence a litre cheaper has got nothing at all to do with volume sales or them being loyal to you. They are just as happy to screw you at the pump as they are for most of your weekly shop.

You can flatly refuse to accept this is the case or you can open your mind and save yourself a lot of grief - it makes no difference to me.

I had no increase in oil level in my last CX-5 until 5K miles, all on supermarket fuel.
According to experts who work in the field the normal diesel is exactly the same.

I only use supermarket fuel and never had any reason to buy an expensive fuel other than when I had a Audi Quattro that required 98 octane petrol fuel for full power output.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/commun...e/towcars-towing/supermarket-fuel/rt/1358924/

Hi,
I have a 2013 CX5 AWD auto sport,
Has 22,000 on the clock, my oil light came on a couple of months ago,2 months before service was due,same as you oil level up but still below the X,
I was not told about this problem when purchasing the car and it's an on going problem, there's no solution to it,if a light came on saying the engine was about to do a regeneration,you could take it out of auto, get the revs up so you wouldn't end up with a sump full of diesel, and potential engine damage��.
Mazda won't admit there's a problem,
But to me it is!

I've never seen a DPF light in nearly 3 years doing short journeys, over 7K miles with my last cx-5 i got a oil rise of only 8mm over a year.
My present car has no oil rise as yet with only 1500 miles on the clock.

Perhaps you should have bought a petrol?

Back