CX-5 Small front door pockets

ARTY

:
Mazda CX5 Touring2014
The door pockets are small and odd shaped. Has anyone tried to modify the pocket to allow larger pieces like maps or other paper or small books?

I am considering cutting the rear part to increase the storage space. Anyone tried this?

The CX5 is pitifully short on small storage space compared to the CX7 it is supposed to replace.

We also had maps back then. I would put them in the door pocket. Good thing we have GPS now. My wife would also put books on the passenger side. She now has an electronic reader that fits in her purse.

Last edited:
In 2+years of ownership, can't say I noticed such a problem.

yep... I will go with the others on this and say it really doesn't need to be any bigger.
In over one year of ownership I have used them to put water bottles or paper towels. (I keep a small piece of paper towel in the winter to wipe off the RV camera). other than that I dont use them.

It seems like yesterday I was playing my 45 LPs. :)

chrysler-car-record-player.jpg

record-player-car-717738jpg-dcb8392c24f0a69a.jpg

Last edited:
1950's where rough... no cup holders, no door pockets, no armrest, no bluetooth, no nav, no airbags, no headrests.... the list would be very long if we compare a modern car's equipment to these old cars.

1957Adventurer_03_2000.jpg

Speed:

You think the 50's were bad. I've got a stock 48 Chevrolet Sedan - standard shift on the column, no power brakes, no power steering, a "stomp" starter, no automatic choke, and vacuum wipers to boot.

Regards:
Oldengineer
1948 Chevrolet 2Dr. Town Sedan

It seems that Mazda designed the door pocket to fit a bottle/soft drink. I find it unusable because the bottle/soft drink will be sitting with an angle.

It is bad. When I think about it, it has the worst small storage space I've seen.

Apparently, they have redesigned door storage in 2016.

Would like to see pictures.

It seems that Mazda designed the door pocket to fit a bottle/soft drink. I find it unusable because the bottle/soft drink will be sitting with an angle.
So why then would you think that's what it was designed for? As far as I can tell, there was no thought whatsoever given to what would or wouldn't fit in those damned useless cubbies!

The seat back pockets are ideal for map storage.

Having come from a Grand Picasso, with LOTS of storage (for starters effectively 4 seperate glove boxes each as big as the CX5 one, and huge door pockets plus under floor and under seat storage !) I'm actually appreciating the lack of cubby space in the CX5.

The kids create less mess and take their rubbish out with them after a trip rather than me having to scrabble around for it every few weeks.

Lots of the little things like ice scrapers and football pumps that I'd have inside the cab in the Citroen are nicely out of the way in the compartments under floor in the boot...sunglasses in the overhead storage (that took me 2 weeks to notice was there!) and charging cables for phone and any other devices in the armrest that would have trailed all over).

Its a zone that stores what you need, tidily.

Storage space

The door pockets are small and odd shaped. Has anyone tried to modify the pocket to allow larger pieces like maps or other paper or small books?

I am considering cutting the rear part to increase the storage space. Anyone tried this?

I used a 2014 Chrysler 200 a while back and it had a really big space under the shift unit for storage. I wonder what is under that big piece of plastic in our CX5s?

I also would love too be able to have the passenger seat fold down flat to make a work area for the driver.

The 2016 CX-5 has huge storage bins on the front doors now. Thanks for reading this thread Mazda.

The 2016 CX-5 has huge storage bins on the front doors now. Thanks for reading this thread Mazda.

Only thing that bugs me is that it doesn't have a cup holder there. There is a few times I would enjoy having a second cup holder that's of easy access to the driver.

Back