Fairly noticeable whine at low speeds

Would a faulty radio install cause an alternator to whine? I've read a bit about hearing whining through the car speakers with a bad radio install, but would it cause the actual alternator to whine under the hood?

The car I bought has a fancy radio/dvd player in it. I hear the sound whether the radio is on or not and it doesn't change with radio volume.

Just an afterthought.

Thanks for any advice.

Maybe if it has an amp somewhere that isn't turned off even tho the head unit is...................but you'd probably hear noise in the speakers

Maybe if it has an amp somewhere that isn't turned off even tho the head unit is...................but you'd probably hear noise in the speakers
Yeah I don't hear the whine in the speakers... At least I don't think.
Hopefully the remanufactured alternator doesn't make noise. I've heard aftermarket ones are hit or miss

Hey all,

Just got my '02 P5 with about 200,000km on it. There is a fairly distinct whine that happens when i press on the gas and correlates with the rpms. It does it in neutral as well when the car is in motion.
Is that the alternator? I can hear it in the cockpit and obviously with the windows down.

The timing belt was replaced at 150,000km at mazda.

It doesn't sound like screech or anything from a drive belt.

I have also heard that is normal for these cars.

Is that a warning sign of something? Thoughts? I'm not too much of a car guy.

Thanks!
DAve

Is your mother in law in the car? (spin)(spin)(rant)

Is your mother in law in the car? (spin)(spin)(rant)

Lol.... No comment

If my alternator is putting out 13v with everything on and at idle does it need replacement???? Is the fact it is making noise enough reason to replace it?

Yeah I don't hear the whine in the speakers... At least I don't think.
Hopefully the remanufactured alternator doesn't make noise. I've heard aftermarket ones are hit or miss
That is why I say get one with lifetime warranty. The misses are free except for the extra practice you get swapping it. Simple to repeat after you've done it once.

I'm assuming the labor won't be free each time though.... There is no way I can install it myself unless someone else helped and no one I know can do that lol.

In all honesty there is no way this car lasts 3 years which is what this reman alternator is warrantied for.

If he does replace it and the noise is still there then I'm screwed..... Is it the new one making noise or was it always something else.

Oh and I did try and induce noise from the timing belt cover and couldn't..

Back