Replacing broken stock rear sway bar

tommyd

:
2003 Mazda Proteg 5
Hi everyone--couple of questions related to rear sway bars here:

My rear sway bar broke over the weekend. As I am not sure how long I'll be keeping my 2003 Protege5 (probably another year?) I am looking for the easiest/cheapest replacement option.

I've been looking for a used stock rear bar online, but had no luck finding an exact Protege5 match. Are the more common Protege rear sway bars compatible?

While scanning through the forums for info, I've seen a lot of talk about aftermarket sport replacement upgrades. Is the Progress bar a direct match for the stock bar? I've already ordered new sway bar links of the same length as the original stock ones. If I got a progress bar, would these all line up?

Thanks for the help.

yes you can use aftermarket replacements (progress, awr) but they wont be cheap, seems like thats your interest since you wont have the car for long

your best bet would be to search around for either a used rear sway from p5 or a racing beat rear sway from a msp, will fit perfectly in your p5. might need end links cause they get stuck sometimes. and bushings. but they dont cost too much

a rear sway bar from a 2001+ Protege ES will work, if you can't find one from a Protege5.

How exactly did you break the sway bar should be the question or did you break an end link?

Cheapest solution is to pull it off and drive it without one, perfectly fine just won't handle as well

Back