02 Mazda P5 "Bumblebee"

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
02 Mazda P5 "Bumblebee"

First things first, don't get on my case for the name, someone else called it that. Lol

So, I've had my P5 for about 3 years now, have been active on the forums for about a year and a half, and still have almost nothing done to the car. XD Against my better judgement, I've decided to make a build thread, simply cuz I'm bored. This thread is honestly more for myself, to keep track of things, and to get help and ideas from the community. I'm no mechanic so please be patient if I ask any noob questions. Thx. :)

Here it is, a 2002 Mazda Protege5, auto tranny, 108k and some miles. (Pls excuse the phone quality pictures.)

aab1adbecfad1a649b6ccbf2c850bc33.jpg
ae010cc8da2b5e600252c3c88a9e79e3.jpg
c905d530a765bc7c33363da8c06617a5.jpg
7640c0ae8583647eb8361161ba2ff16d.jpg

Yes, I have a random cloth covering my seat. It's my daily driver and sometimes I drive it to work, and I work construction. Also, if anyone can enlighten me on how to put the pics directly into the post, it would be great. I'm uploading most, if not all of these from my phone, using ImageShack.
Edit: screw ImageShack. Photobucket ftw! Photos should appear directly in the post now.
Edit Edit: acre Photobucket too lol. Updating this thread (finally) and uploading from Tapatalk. [emoji1360]

Last edited:
02 Mazda P5 "Bumblebee"

So, first mod was a Cosmo Racing CAI. I love it, well worth the money. Swapped it out since, like most of you know, the intake hoses on these cars tend to crack on the ridges between the filter box and the manifold. Don't have any pictures of that install.

This is brand new plasti dip on the wheels, done about 6 months ago.
37592ef48249d4b158c7cf269762d6a3.jpg
8a2f6bafdc7f3e2b94f0986446fcaff0.jpg

Had an incident driving home one night; ran over some moron's 2x4 ends that fell out of his truck. Punched a hole right through one of my wheels. Had the polished aluminum wheels and the only used (wasn't going to pay dealer price for a new one) matching wheel that was available was the painted silver. So I cleaned them all up one weekend and plasti dipped them all black, no need for sanding prep. Bought a wheel kit from dipyourcar.com, 6-7 coats and even had leftover dip.

Just recently installed a set of Yellow Speed coilovers. Dropped the car about .75" up front, 1-1.25" on the rear. Looking for some adjustable front endlinks, possible rear as well.
28366862500d3208e08dd9edcad2c491.jpg

Notice in this picture, (front coil packs) the endlink is far too long for the mounting tab. Quick fix was to run to Autozone and buy some similar but shorter links. Still want to get adjustables though.
60e9db021aebf2525b4c4962dcb703e6.jpg

Last edited:
Need to find some time one of these weekends and go buy some engine paint. Open to recommendations. Want to paint my valve cover and put my new CR3 bolts/washers on! :D

Next mod: sway bar or brake kit, depends which one I find a good deal on first. Think I'm set on the Progress bar, not sure on the brakes. Any ideas/things I should watch out for? Thinking to do a MSP swap, will they fit under the current 16"s? Or just rebuild the OEM's?

I would go with msp brakes. Better designed, less likely to seize up and with the right rotor/pad combo ull be fine with braking power. Yes they clear stock 16's I'm running msp brakes and I had 02 rims on my mp3 for a while with no issues

I would go with msp brakes. Better designed, less likely to seize up and with the right rotor/pad combo ull be fine with braking power. Yes they clear stock 16's I'm running msp brakes and I had 02 rims on my mp3 for a while with no issues

Thx for the info. Also found these, looks like they fit all but the MSP.
http://thmotorsports.com/i-1822022....type=pla&kw=&gclid=CNzX3_TKtcECFUE0aQodAGEA7A
Worth it? Hmm..

Is there anywhere you can buy the MSP calipers new? Besides dealer, I mean. Most aftermarket brake kits only give you rotors and pads, I'd still need to MSP calipers. Or do I have to beg for someone to sell me theirs lol

Last edited:
Msp calipers are euro-spec calipers so if you search calipers for a euro 323 you should be able to find some new calipers. I would also check with a local brake shop near has some places carry spare sets for quick turnaround or they will be able to locate you the calipers.

02 Mazda P5 "Bumblebee"

Just finished installing a brand new set of 505 gauge rings. Completely changes the look of the dash, they're awesome!
Before
5a59fb4943ece69f1b64a39d84666b39.jpg

After
6a8d5cf017d203e36bdf5b7b2726f384.jpg

Being overly careful and a noob, this took about half an hour.

Last edited:
02 Mazda P5 "Bumblebee"

New Pioneer FH-X720BT stereo finally installed.
9a90c22c81bbe0172a9720b7cf42d64f.jpg
63f4b092a403a09c27ca51f7ae62d8d5.jpg

Used a screwdriver to pry the factory radio out, scratched the trim a bit. Didn't have the removal clips..

Question for anyone else using Pioneer: the harness provided has 3 wires designated to illumination/dimmer: solid orange, orange with white, and orange with black. Hooked it up to the orange and white, if I remember correctly, but it's not doing what I wanted it to. Which one is the right wire if I want the unit to dim when the headlights/dash lights come on?

Last edited:
02 Mazda P5 "Bumblebee"

Had a can of black plastidip left over from when I did my wheels. Decided to put it to good use and paint the rear valance. Cleaned up the bumper with soap and water, and masked it off.
Bumper prepped. (Was a pain in the rear end)
80a92f0dff9cee946a864a6c2da45b56.jpg

Finished
39035532c3af3d86242dcbda2815014e.jpg

Word of advice. Spend the extra money and get the blue painter's tape.

Last edited:
I have a Pioneer touchscreen but the black square (the one that comes with the installation kit) keeps falling off every time I get a bump on the road or something they told me that I have to cut the borders of the housing where the radio goes but I don't know if is just top one and the down one or the sides?

Not sure how the touchscreen units are. I'm guessing you're talking about the black plastic frame piece that covers the gap between the radio and the dash trim? On mine, that screwed into the unit itself, on the sides. The whole thing just snapped into the existing opening, no cutting required.

Are some of the clips broken? Need a little more info than that, how does the radio unit stay in? Post a pic of the frame if you can pull it out

02 Mazda P5 "Bumblebee"

Been too long since I posted anything.. A combination of work and cold weather kept me from doing anything to the car. But I finally managed to find some time and put those P5 door sills on, they've been collecting dust for a while. Peeled the tape off (bought them used) and gave them a good buff.

First piece installed
f506dd54aadd02e1dd600f9ae09e0138.jpg

Update

The rest of them
3f6f34afb2fa020135e1a6ea8dd616ae.jpg
9981ccf9efc1b82f1ee483c9fe1a0fc7.jpg

Last edited:
Well, radiator busted today, while on the road. Put some stop leak in it, still overheating. I'm guessing thermostat? Any thoughts?

Stop leak doesn't play nice with heater cores....

The thermostat can cause it. When it starts to heat up feel the bottom hose or shoot it with an IR temp gun. If it feels cold chances are the thermostat isn't opening.

Last edited:
The hose at the top of the radiator has no coolant in it. The overflow tank is way past full. I don't think any coolant is going through the radiator. The radiator is going to have to be replaced, I just hope there's no damage to the engine

You might consider a hydrocarbon test on the cooling system to ensure that the head gasket isn't leaking. Parts stores will loan you the tester, if you buy the fluid for it.

Back