P0455 and smell of gas outside car

belyle

:
2002 Protege5
Hey guys,
I've been the happy owner of a 2002 p5 for almost 2 years now, and have recently started having problems. My CEL is on, and I pulled the code as a P0455. From doing other research, I replaced the gas cap (non-oem tho) and checked out my purge solenoid. The solenoid checked out in spec. I noticed that when I have above 1/2 tank of gas, I smell gas outside my car. There is no noticeable smell inside the car. Has anyone experienced the same, and what should I be looking to replace next?

I noticed that when I have above 1/2 tank of gas, I smell gas outside my car. There is no noticeable smell inside the car.

Where outside the car? Under the hood or in back, near the filler and tank?

Never had this happen on mine, could be:

1. Small leak in gas tank, high up. When fuel is high enough to cover the leak point it might drip slowly - one drop of gasoline will generate more of a smell than the tiny amount of evaporated fuel that would pass through that hole if the fuel was lower.

2. Charcoal canister and related plumbing.

3. Fuel filler tube, from the exterior flap to the tank. If memory serves this goes in about 2/3 of the way up the side of the tank. So if there is a tiny leak in that area it would behave much like in (1).

If it was inside the car I would say to check the fuel pump cover, since that is prone to leakage. Hard to see how that could leak and stink up outside the car without also making the interior smell.

Thanks for the tips. I'll crawl under the car this weekend a pull the skid plate off to see what I can see. The smell of gas is definitely from the back of the car, not coming from under the hood.

Thanks for the tips. I'll crawl under the car this weekend a pull the skid plate off to see what I can see. The smell of gas is definitely from the back of the car, not coming from under the hood.

Pull the rear seat cushion and service cover for the fuel pump and inspect for fuel leakage there.

If it was inside the car I would say to check the fuel pump cover, since that is prone to leakage. Hard to see how that could leak and stink up outside the car without also making the interior smell.

The "fuel pump cover" you're referring to is simply a floor panel that does little more than allow the wiring harness to pass through and allow access for R&R of the fuel pump and it's sealed.

The "fuel pump cover" you're referring to is simply a floor panel that does little more than allow the wiring harness to pass through and allow access for R&R of the fuel pump and it's sealed.

Do you think that rubber boot/cap has a tight enough seal that the gas smell would not enter the cabin if the seal around the fuel pump/gauge were leaking? There is absolutely no smell of gas inside the car, but it's quite strong outside. Of course, since it's cooled down some in my area, it doesn't smell as bad. Less expansion of the gas/fumes I guess.

Edit to add: I opened up that cover and had a good look and sniff. Dry and dusty and no smell at all. Nothing looked like it had been leaking. Next I guess I'll pull the skid plate. Might be time for a smoke test.

Last edited:
I'm resurrecting this thread 'cause I finally got around to digging under my car a bit more. I checked out the solenoid that is upstream of the charcoal canister, and it's OK (reading ~20 ohms). I went to drop what I thought was a skid plate and discovered that it was the entire gas tank. What is the pressure in the tank supposed to be? I thought about pressurizing the system using a bike pump or compressor and listening for leaks, but don't want to blow anything out.

I like your idea but I would just pull off a bunch of different tubes and blow on them. Then you don't have to worry about over pressurizing anything but your head.

Here's what the book says to do,.. it's a lot of work,.. I'd start with our way,.. it's funner.

There is three more pages if you need them...

P0455_zps88d95105.jpg

Back