Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: 2013 Mazda 3 Headlights Blink when Brakes applied

2013 Mazda 3

Question 2013 Mazda 3 Headlights Blink when Brakes applied

Has anyone experienced this problem I am having with my 2013 Mazda 3? If your Headlights are on and you apply the Brake, the lights will start blinking like there is a voltage drop. The don't go off, but dim just a bit and brighten, dim and brighten about twice every second while the brake pedal is down. I have even noticed my interior light will do it too, if it happens to be on. I have no idea what the brake light or park lights are doing at this time, because I haven't had anyone follow me yet. The headlights have never gone out, just start blinking. I just bought this car (used) about a month ago and it seems like it has done it since I have owned it. Anyone ever hear of this and what may be causing it?

Registered Member

2013 Mazda3 i Sport

Quote Originally Posted by tomfooter View Post
    Has anyone experienced this problem I am having with my 2013 Mazda 3? If your Headlights are on and you apply the Brake, the lights will start blinking like there is a voltage drop. The don't go off, but dim just a bit and brighten, dim and brighten about twice every second while the brake pedal is down. I have even noticed my interior light will do it too, if it happens to be on. I have no idea what the brake light or park lights are doing at this time, because I haven't had anyone follow me yet. The headlights have never gone out, just start blinking. I just bought this car (used) about a month ago and it seems like it has done it since I have owned it. Anyone ever hear of this and what may be causing it?
    According to Consumer Reports, there's a TSB on this... here's the listing they have:

Service bulletins

2010-13 models might need an updated rear stabilizer due to a squeak, knock, or rattle (8/13).

2012-13 models with Halogen lights need a software update if they flicker when applying the brakes (19/13), and may also need an updated #4 engine mount for a squeak when starting from a stop and/or shifting (13/13).

Sounds like there is a known issue, I'd call the dealership tell them the issue and that you understand there's a software update for it.

Registered Member

Mazda 3iT 2012

My dealer was aware of the TSB and reprogrammed the PCM. About $45 out the door, and most importantly, works.
    - Rick