Rear view camera install on 1st gen Mazda5 2010

kaos42

:
2010 Mazda 5 GS
I am at the shop right now, they are telling me that they can not install it because it is all one piece ( the plastic cover I guess ) and than there is something that is riveted and they can not get to it to be able to install it.

Has anyone done a successful rear view camera install or is there another solution ?

I got one off of ebay that you swap out a license plate light for. I had no issues with installing and certainly nothing was riveted that got in my way. Of course I don't know what style camera you have or where they are trying to install it.
DSC03068_zps3b8b1695.jpg

This is a edit from onw of my earlier threads.."2008-2010 GPS NAV Aftermarket" I think what the shop is referring to is the bonded structure of the tailgate. Good luck. It can be done and mine is till working well.

On my 07 the tailgate is glass and plastic bonded to a steel sub frame the interior trim is also bonded to this structure. The interior trim has a hatch at the top for 3rd eye stop-light replacement and then a large center hatch to for access to the licence lighting, wiper motor etc. I fished the camera wiring through this hatch under the wiper motor and into the lip around the rear window. Up around the window. At the center top of the window I drilled through the weather seal and into the area of the 3rd brakelight. The wires now travel under the brakelight (in a carved slot) to the access hatch behind the light. From this access area I fished them through the rubber unbilical (on the drivers side, passengers side was too crowded with the washer fluid hose) to under the trim panel on the inside of the car. It then runs to the passenger side under the trims, down the corner to the top of the rear right wheel well. Here is were I taped into the 12v feed for the reverse lights. There is a convenient plug for the taillight assy, and a Ground nut with two leads bolted to it. The RCA line continues from here forward onder the door sills up toward the dashboard. I'm pleased to report thats it's all secured with zip ties and no chance of rattles or chaffing.

Last edited:
I got one off of ebay that you swap out a license plate light for. I had no issues with installing and certainly nothing was riveted that got in my way. Of course I don't know what style camera you have or where they are trying to install it.
DSC03068_zps3b8b1695.jpg

It looks like the camera i have, do you find it angled too low ? On the other Mazdas in the family with the factory camera i a lot further than this ... Not sure if it is the angle or the wider lens angle on the other cars that is different. Will take a loot later on

This is a edit from onw of my earlier threads.."2008-2010 GPS NAV Aftermarket" I think what the shop is referring to is the bonded structure of the tailgate. Good luck. It can be done and mine is till working well.

Awesome thanks for the info ... the guys from the shop tried to tell me they could not tuck the wires into the frame of the lift gate ( to make a clean install ) and I thought they could not wire the camera all together, my fault on not understanding.

Does anyone know how to turn on the rear view camera without shifting into Park ?

I seen someone mention that pressing and holding the NAVI button does it but on my unit it starts the calibration feature.

you can add a switch that would apply power to the camera instead of the rear light, just make sure that switch is not powering it up when you put it into reverse, you would need some relay system I'd guess.

It looks like the camera i have, do you find it angled too low ? On the other Mazdas in the family with the factory camera i a lot further than this ... Not sure if it is the angle or the wider lens angle on the other cars that is different. Will take a loot later on

I would imagine some people may find the angle too low, but personally I think it captures enough of what's behind me, so I've never been bothered with it.
DSC03071_zpsb3bc9c8e.jpg

I would imagine some people may find the angle too low, but personally I think it captures enough of what's behind me, so I've never been bothered with it.
DSC03071_zpsb3bc9c8e.jpg

that is how i imagined it should work … i do not see no horizon at all … not even on the sides

Installed last weekend.
13681784270.jpg

It clips on license light cover.

Attachments

• 20141024_092929.jpg
    20141024_092929.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 806
  • 20141024_092531.jpg
    20141024_092531.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 732
So glad I found this old post that links to your even older thread,
Struggled like crazy with this today and gave up. After reading thru your thread I think I'll give it another shot.
Thanks twintrbo!

No problem! Happy to have that thread keep helping people. Considering every company offers it and the 5 is available with front and rear cameras in other markets, I'll never get why it doesn't have it. Good luck, you can do it!

Hi all,

I tried to install reverse camera in 5 Furano - I was using steel wire first before I will do anything more, but in those two places cannot go further with steel wire (something is blocking inside) - not sure if I can push harder.

Any advice?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 93
Hi all,

I tried to install reverse camera in 5 Furano - I was using steel wire first before I will do anything more, but in those two places cannot go further with steel wire (something is blocking inside) - not sure if I can push harder.

Any advice?
Thanks
My experience: I had to cut the connector and fish plain wire. Absolutely impossible to fish the RCA connector through. Not even the 4 pin barrel connector. Just cut the wire and solder connectors later.

I also used a small camera to see and check the route. I actually used it for fishing the wire through.
The trick is - you need to go around the corner with your fishing wire above the existing cabling, not below, or it would get stuck. Something like this one.

You can also drill a 3/4...1" hole at the lower end of the door trim to fish easier. It will be hidden behind the big rectangular plastic trim covering access to the door handle from the inside anyway.

God, this was an incredibly annoying task!

7 years later, this thread came back from the dead! Glad people are still referencing what was done 12 long years ago. I do not recall exactly what I did to get the wire around the hatch back then so I cant offer much more insight than you've already read. I know it was not impossible and there was definitely room for plugs and things to go through. There was a 6 pin molex and possibly the RCA as well, there's no way I would have cut that harness unless it was truly a last resort. I used a piece of solid wire to fish it through and it went pretty easy, experiment with how the wire is bent at the end, it makes a huge difference.

My experience: I had to cut the connector and fish plain wire. Absolutely impossible to fish the RCA connector through. Not even the 4 pin barrel connector. Just cut the wire and solder connectors later.
It bee a while but this is what I recall as well. It may be possible but difficult to find. The path of least resistance is to simply cut/reconnect a wire.

-pre-bending the wire helps a LOT.
-double up wire in a drill to twist and make it thicker
-do it in sections

wN4wSfx.jpg

Back