Edward R. Carroll

Mr. Robert T. Davis
Senior Vice President, US Operations
Mazda North American Operations
7755 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, CA 92623

September 29, 2014

Dear Mr. Davis,

After decades of purchasing vehicles bearing the Acura and Honda brands, I recently decided to purchase my first Mazda, as I was impressed by the styling and perceived value offered in your current lineup and, particularly, the companys CX-5, compact utility vehicle. Id like to share my impressions with you with regard to that purchase.
I took delivery of a 2015 model on August 10th. I opted for the Grand Touring, AWD with Technology Package. To my knowledge, I have purchased every available accessory.

Within the first few weeks of driving the vehicle, I began to notice strange activity from the infotainment system. The TomTom Navigation screen would quit, indicating that it was seeking a valid GPS signal. But that message seemed to remain on the screen, indefinitely. I found the only way to reconnect to a satellite was to pull over, shut the car down and wait ten seconds before restarting. On a recent trip to Newport, RI, I experienced moving maps, spinning vehicle icons, and on several occasions was directed to make a turn onto a road on which I was already traveling. After some research, I was able to locate a software update, which seems to have addressed many of these issues, though not the glacial pace at which this system continues to operate.

Having since reviewed various, online CX-5 owners forums, Ive learned that the problems Ive just described are neither unique, nor particularly new. One wonders why the vehicle was delivered without these updates. An ongoing problem is the safety lock feature, which prevents a passenger from entering data into the system, while the vehicle is in motion. Because the voice recognition in this system is far from accurate, Im forced to scramble at stop lights to input address information. Its extremely frustrating. The numerous steps involved render this almost impossible.

Ive discovered, as have many others, that iPod functionality is all but nonexistent with this system. Incredibly, each time I switch to iPod mode though the USB interface, the head unit must read its entire contents, as though its seeing it for the first time. I can travel nearly a mile before this process is complete. Additionally, playback always begins on the first song. Also, all too frequently, the song displayed is not the song thats actually playing. The system also fails to recognize playlists. If youd like to see examples of these problems, you need only visit YouTube. IPods have been on the market for over 13 years. The other major auto manufacturers seem to have no problem integrating this technology into their vehicles, particularly when their customers are paying a premium for it. Why cant Mazda? My current workaround is to use the iPod in aux mode, which is cumbersome and, frankly, not the functionality for which I paid.

The Bluetooth phone capabilities are also inadequate, though this is less of an issue for me. Address book entries fail to download and I have yet to see a single text message appear, much less have one read to me.

In the last week, I visited a well-respected, aftermarket audio shop in my area to address the muddy sound emanating from the Bose speaker system. Despite the Bose name, the stereo experience is very basic. Live signals sound particularly bad, whether its from HD FM or Sirius. Also, the vast majority of sound comes from the dash speakers with only muffled sound coming from the doors. The gentleman from Parkway Audio in Everett, MA informed me that in addition to offering a head unit with weak reception, Bose and Mazda went cheap by failing to include a stand-alone subwoofer with this premium package. Instead, the door speakers must provide the base. Im surprised that Bose put their name on this. Ive also noticed, brief audio dropouts, occurring for no apparent reason. Im not sure what to make of this.

The purchase of this vehicle versus an Acura RDX was part of a two-pronged strategy. Ive been enthusiastically awaiting the rollout of the fourth generation Miata. Having seen the preproduction vehicle introduced in California, I thought it would make a perfect second vehicle. But, I have to tell you that my current experience with the CX-5 is forcing me to rethink this. Im also uncomfortable recommending your brand to others, at this time.

I traded a 2007 Honda Civic Si with Navigation for this vehicle. Aside from the occasional, recommended DVD map update purchase, that system required virtually no maintenance or debugging, providing excellent stereo sound, useful and intuitive iPod handling features, and a speedier navigation interface from delivery to trade-in, using technology that was rolled out nearly a decade ago. There is absolutely no excuse for Mazda to be offering such an inferior system in a 2015 vehicle.

I have signed the Change.org petition, which outlines the problems Ive described above. Ive noticed that it contains more than 3,000 signatures. Additionally, Edmunds.com, Autoweek, CNET, Cars.com and others have documented this systems glaring design flaws.

Id like to know how and when Mazda plans to make this right.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Edward R. Carroll

I knew a cute girl named Carol. However, his points about the audio, for me in particular the infotainment are spot on. I didn't realize how bad it was until I traded my 2013 for a 2015. My phone doesn't even auto re-connect the Bluetooth when I turn the car back on (like the 2013). Doesn't remember the last song I played on my USB, instead starts from track one (unlike the 2013), with a slow start time. Gracenote is garbage; it's unintuitive and it requires well organized meta data to work efficiently, which for people with large libraries of music from different sources, is an issue. You can't even make a "mix" folder for example, because you can't play by folder through gracenote. You would have to collect all the songs you want in your mix, then rename a part of the meta data for all of them to "mix" for example, so that Gracenote will play all those songs when you select "mix" from whatever category you named it. Also the shuffle is the same for each song. If you want a different shuffle, you have to pick a different song then shuffle from there. It's almost as if Mazda was the military, and contracted a government contractor to "upgrade" their infotainment, and instead made it worse. But then Mazda integrated it anyways.

Last edited:
My story is very similar to yours, my trade was a 2009 Honda Civic. It would probably take an actual class action suit to get anywhere though.

I'm having the Text/eMails won't play back, and I too am considering the MX-5 Miata ND, but, hard to invest in their tech when this hasn't worked since day one, and they don't seem to have a fix planned.

I would think at some point, either they fix it with a firmware upgrade, or a replacement unit. But, it's unacceptable to have non-working tech in a brand new $25,000 vehicle.

Last edited:
You can't even make a "mix" folderfor example, because you can't play by shoulder through gracenote. You would have to collect all the songs you want in your mix, then rename a part of the meta data for all of them to "mix" for example, so that Gracenote will play all those songs when you select "mix" from whatever category you named it.

Renaming a meta tag to mix would not be necessary, since the 2014/2015 models support playlists. Just use Windows Media Player to create a Mix playlist, dump all the songs you want in it and you're done. Almost as easy as using folders, no meta data tampering, and voice recognition will start the mix just by saying "play playlist mix".

But yeah, all the rest is crap.

I apreciate the effort and time you put in your letter Ed. In fact, if all disgruntled owners did the same we might actually see some results. But the sad truth is that Mr. Davis will never read your letter. An administrative drone will filter it out for him, read the first two sentences of the letter, realize it is a complaint and send a nice cut-and-paste letter to you saying something like "We apreciate feedback from valued customers like you, as we always strive to improve our products, blah, blah, blah". There might even be a stamped Mr. Davis signature at the bottom, and a reference number to give you the warm and fuzzy feeling that your complaint is "in the system" and "being taken care of". But in the end, it will be filed and forgotten.

The CX-5 is one of Mazdas best sellers, they are making tons of money off of it. By reading this forum you would not know it, but I would say the fraction of CX-5 owners that are actually even aware of the problem is minute, and those that would not buy another Mazda because if it negligeable on the bottom line. They have no financial reason to do anyting to change it right now.

I think that is what SayNoToPistons was saying in his own... clever way... ;)

I apreciate the effort and time you put in your letter Ed. In fact, if all disgruntled owners did the same we might actually see some results. But the sad truth is that Mr. Davis will never read your letter. An administrative drone will filter it out for him, read the first two sentences of the letter, realize it is a complaint and send a nice cut-and-paste letter to you saying something like "We apreciate feedback from valued customers like you, as we always strive to improve our products, blah, blah, blah". There might even be a stamped Mr. Davis signature at the bottom, and a reference number to give you the warm and fuzzy feeling that your complaint is "in the system" and "being taken care of". But in the end, it will be filed and forgotten.

The CX-5 is one of Mazdas best sellers, they are making tons of money off of it. By reading this forum you would not know it, but I would say the fraction of CX-5 owners that are actually even aware of the problem is minute, and those that would not buy another Mazda because if it negligeable on the bottom line. They have no financial reason to do anyting to change it right now.

I appreciate your remarks. I'm a realist, by nature. I certainly don't expect my letter to change the situation. I've lived in the corporate world for most of my adult life and I realize that, besides the bottom line, little else matters. Well, that and bad press. But, to say nothing is tantamount to saying "I'm satisfied with the situation." I'm not and they should know that. I absolutely agree with you that if everyone expressed their dissatisfaction to Mazda, we might get somewhere.

Last edited:
I'm one of those, who doesn't even know what works and what not.
I'm just using the radio and the phone part. No i devices, no voice commands, no USB devices.
Recently, I have installed a Kenwood nav unit and I have put all these possible issues, behind me.

Ding ding. Don't expect significant fixes until mid-life refresh. "Significant fixes" also mean phasing out of old units entirely (including support).

Renaming a meta tag to mix would not be necessary, since the 2014/2015 models support playlists. Just use Windows Media Player to create a Mix playlist, dump all the songs you want in it and you're done. Almost as easy as using folders, no meta data tampering, and voice recognition will start the mix just by saying "play playlist mix".

Thanks, I'll do that. They still need to fix it tho lol

Thanks, I'll do that. They still need to fix it tho lol

FYI, you need to save the playlist as an m3u file (WMP automatically saves in the required EXT m3u format).

See: here for details on how to do this (under the "regular playlist" section).

and voice recognition will start the mix just by saying "play playlist mix".

You don't even have to say "play" in the commands. It is sufficient to say "playlist mix" or "artist jim bob".

Sorry Ed but cannot agree. I am not saying the issues do not exist what I am saying is that I do not judge a car by it's tech package. The nav works fine for me and I don't care about the ipod interface. The stereo is above average, but at least it is not terrible. It would not take much to add a sub and have a great stereo. No mini suv/crossover in the $30k price range can compete with this car. You mention the RDX - well it cost about $10k more than a loaded CX-5 so it better be a better vehicle. I do hope Mazda addresses the issues you mentioned but I cannot bad mouth the car and I would buy another Mazda in a second.

You don't need to apologize or agree, Rich. We're both entitled to feel how we feel about it. It seems that it's always those who don't use the iPod interface that think the problem is overblown.

In case anyone's interested, I received a call today from a rep at Mazda's Irvine headquarters. She said that my letter had been reviewed by Mr. Davis and several other executives and wanted me to know that they very much want to keep my business. She also said that Mazda has been aware of this problem for some time and realize it's having a negative impact on owner experience. She said they're as anxious as we are to get it fixed.

They're also aware of the Change.org petition.

I was told that a hardware/software fix is currently being tested and is expected to roll out before year's end. She offered to contact me as soon as it's available and arrange the appointment with my dealership. She asked if I was interested in having a beta Bluetooth module installed in my vehicle, now, but as I was told that it only addressed some issues, I declined.

After our conversation, she sent me a follow up email, assuring me that she'll keep me informed of their progress and provided her direct line and invited me to call whenever I have questions.

We'll see what happens...

Last edited:
I appreciate your remarks. I'm a realist, by nature. I certainly don't expect my letter to change the situation. I've lived in the corporate world for most of my adult life and I realize that, besides the bottom line, little else matters. Well, that and bad press. But, to say nothing is tantamount to saying "I'm satisfied with the situation." I'm not and they should know that. I absolutely agree with you that if everyone expressed their dissatisfaction to Mazda, we might get somewhere.

It's funny how some here actually excuse the flaws of the CX because they say it handles so well.
A '15 $32K vehicle should have a working properly infotainment system among other things it lacks that much cheaper vehicles have.

Last edited:
It's funny how some here actually excuse the flaws of the CX because they say it handles so well.
A '15 $32K vehicle should have a working properly infotainment system among other things it lacks that much cheaper vehicles have.

Thank you! Victims or sheep is what I keep asking myself.

I'm one of those, who doesn't even know what works and what not.
I'm just using the radio and the phone part. No i devices, no voice commands, no USB devices.
Recently, I have installed a Kenwood nav unit and I have put all these possible issues, behind me.

Any plug and play Crutchfield like wiring connections?

It's almost as if Mazda was the military, and contracted a government contractor to "upgrade" their infotainment, and instead made it worse. But then Mazda integrated it anyways.

Not sure if this is right but I thought I remember hearing Johnson Controls was involved with it.

Call me an apologist but infotainment issues still do not change my opinion on whether the CX-5 was a good buy for me. I still love it.

Call me an apologist but infotainment issues still do not change my opinion on whether the CX-5 was a good buy for me. I still love it.

Same. The Bluetooth can be ******* infuriating, but it's kind of a first world problem? "Oh no, my phone doesn't connect to Bluetooth within the first 10 seconds of enabling it, weeeeh."

The CX-5 drives wonderfully, looks great, feels great, and the Mazda brand itself ain't bad. *shrug*

Back